Playing With: Gayborhood
Basic Trope: A town's gay district.
Back to Gayborhood
- Straight: Within Troperville, there is a street called Yaoi Street, which has gay bars, trendy stores, and nice houses and apartments where the town's GLBT residents live.
- The entire city is like this, or is viewed as such compared to other cities in the state/province/country.
- You can easily pick the neighborhood out from space, it's the street that looks like a rainbow.
- Downplayed: The city has a very modest gay bar on the corner.
- Justified: Gays and lesbians felt they needed a place where they could feel safe and connected to one another In a World dominated by the infamous Heteronormative Crusaders.
- Inverted: Within Yaoiville, there is a street called Het Street, where heterosexuals live.
- Subverted: Yaoi Street doesn't have much in the way of nightlife, trendy boutiques, etc.
- Double Subverted: But it does have a lot of gay and lesbian characters living on it, and they all know where to find those things.
- Zig Zagged: The city doesn't have a single gay neighborhood, but several small strips of them here and there around town.
- Averted: The gay-oriented businesses in Troperville are scattered throughout the city, as opposed to a central district. The GLBT residents are okay with this, since Troperville is tolerant enough that they don't feel the need to live in a "gay ghetto."
- Enforced: We need a place to put our Cast Full of Gay...
- Lampshaded: ???
- Invoked: Alex and Bob plan on moving to or visiting Troperville, and look up where the gayborhood is.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: To their disappointment, there isn't one, or at least not a very large or remarkable one.
- Discussed: "Wait, my neighbor is gay too? And his neighbor? How... fabulous!"
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: There are GLBT residents outside of Yaoi Street, and they don't like the place because of the image of GLBT people it projects to the rest of Troperville.
- Reconstructed: The residents of Yaoi Street are far more diverse and well-rounded as GLBT people than the stereotypes suggest. Eventually, the rest of the city learn to tolerate the neighborhood, and even grow to like it, as it is populated by genuinely nice people who just happen to be gay.
- Played For Laughs: Bob cracks a joke about how "They pack so much fudge into the brownies at that bakery on Yaoi Street!"
- Played For Drama: A Heteronormative Crusader of the particularly Knight Templar variety gets an ad-hoc army together and declares war on Yaoi Street and its residents.
Back to Gayborhood