Playing With: Gainax Ending
: An intentionally weird ending.
- Straight: A work ends with everyone exploding into orange liquid, at which point the main character has a disjointed Dream Sequence about the meaning of life.
- Exaggerated: A work ends with a random series of words and images in no particular order.
- Downplayed: The Ending Changes Everything
- Justified: Ending sequence is a Dying Dream or the work previously featured Fantasy elements that could cause such strangeness.
- The beginning is a disjointed series of random imagery and philosophical discussions. The rest of the work is much more coherent.
- The ending is a Mind Screwdriver.
- Subverted: A work ends with everyone exploding into orange liquid, only for the main character to reform and go after the Big Bad who did it to save everyone else.
- Double Subverted: ...After the Big Bad is defeated, the main character has a disjointed Dream Sequence about the meaning of life instead.
- Parodied: A work ends with everyone exploding into orange liquid, at which point the main character has a disjointed dream sequence about how humans really shouldn't drink so much orange juice.
- Zig Zagged: A work ends with everyone exploding into orange liquid, only for it to turn out it was All Just a Dream. Or Was It a Dream? Then everyone has a Dance Party.
- Averted: Work featuring Fantasy elements ends in a perfectly sensible way that fits the rest of the story's tone.
- Enforced: "No grand finale will live up to fans' expectations and we're out of money. Let's just give them a Mind Screw we can afford and let them figure it out."
- Invoked: The main character is dosed with hallucinogens in the hope their acid trip will teach them an important Aesop.
- Exploited: Knowing everyone will explode into orange liquid and enter a disjointed Dream Sequence like existence where anything can happen, a character uses it as a means to be reunited with their dead wife.
- Defied: Main character wills themself out of the disjointed Dream Sequence so they can Earn Their Happy Ending instead.
- Discussed: "How did you think this would end? Everyone exploding into orange liquid? maybe a nonsensical dream or two? Sorry, but reality is hardly that dramatic."
- Conversed: The main character says to their friend "Man, Chronicles of Troperia had a weird ending, didn't it?"
- Deconstructed: The main character has been going insane through the entire story, and suffered a final psychotic break.
- Reconstructed: This final break convinces the main character to return to the mundane real world rather than stay in their psychotic fantasy.
- Played For Laughs: The ending emphasizes Surrealist and Breaking the Fourth Wall elements for the sake of Absurdism.
- Played For Drama: The main character fears they're going insane. Or the weirdness is due to the world ending.
Back to Gainax Ending