: Anonymity/invisibility corrupts.
- Straight: When Bob goes to the Internet, the anonymity causes him to be a Jerkass Troll.
- Downplayed: Anonymity causes someone to become a Jerk with a Heart of Gold.
- Justified: In the real world, if you constantly become a Jerkass it becomes a permanent Never Live It Down that can ruin your reputation forever, thus acting as a Restraining Bolt. Having low visibility and no identity thus allows for people to express their repressed aggression without the social consequences.
- Anonymous people are the nicest folks you can hang around with while the named ones are the narcissistic jerkasses.
- What You Are in the Dark
- Subverted: At first glance, the anonymous people seem to be jerkasses, but it is revealed that they are the good guys compared to the real Big Bad of the Internet.....
- Double Subverted: And after defeating the Big Bad, they ask "And Then What?", making them go back to trolling.
- Parodied: Stealth Trolling as a joke.
- Zig Zagged: Anonymous people have Blue and Orange Morality.
- There is no Anonymous.
- Alternatively, The Anonymous person is just as polite behind a computer screen as (s)he is face-to-face in Real Life.
- Enforced: The author wants to show what humanity would really be like if there wasn't a Big Brother to keep them in line.
- Lampshaded: "Just because you have no name, you already act retarded?"
- Invoked: In order to Prove that Bob has a dark side, she sits him in front of a chat site occupied entirely by wickedly skilled trolls.
- Exploited: Alice is secretly logging every embarrassing thing Bob says on the internet without him knowing and is planning to blackmail him with it later when he wants to maintain a wholesome image in person.
- Defied: When Bob goes to the Internet, he takes precaution to restrain his behaviour and be polite to anyone.
- Discussed: "We must be cautious when we go to the Internet. You wouldn't like it if your life was damaged forever by unseen forces just because you poked this guy."
- Conversed: "You know, I don't think Fred would be able to say that to Wilma's face..."
- The anonymous folks respond to the Big Brother over the Internet by becoming even more stealthy.
- Or, after the initial guilt wears off, the anonymous person decides that they care more about having an outlet for their aggression than about the emotional well-being of their loved ones. They then resume their bad behavior, just as unrestrained as before. In fact, they may even specifically target this person from now on because they'll actually be able to see their emotional reactions while pretending to be a sympathetic ear.Then the anonymous learn his mistake.
- The anonymous person is a paranoid shut-in who lives in a gated house with several angry guard dogs out front; a sign located just at the edge of the property warns that any trespassers will be shot. Anyone who manages to track this person down takes one look and makes the very wise choice to let bygones be bygones.
Back to GIFT
, dickhead! Are you upset, sissy pants? What do intent to do about it, tough guy?! Are you gonna punch me!? HA HA HA! Loser, I want to see you trying it