: A joke becomes unfunny because of a later event, in the story or in real life.
- Straight: Bob's character (also named Bob) makes an off-hand joke about having an aneurysm. A season or two later, Bob (either one) dies of an aneurysm.
- Exaggerated: Alice makes a joke about spontaneous combustion, and explodes seconds later, leaving a gory and disgusting mess.
- Downplayed: Bob's joke, and the coincidental pain he suffers later, is about a minor injury.
- Justified: Bob (the actor) had already been diagnosed with a life-threatening aneurysm, and—having a personal taste for Black Comedy—had the line put in deliberately.
- Inverted: Hilarious in Hindsight (AKA Reverse Funny Aneurysm).
- Subverted: Bob makes an aneurysm joke, but soon after, Alice's character (the audience abhors) has an aneurysm.
- Double Subverted: Bob's character deeply cares for Alice, and watching her suffer makes the earlier joke seem horrible.
- Parodied: ???
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: Neither Bob the character nor Bob the actor dies from an aneurysm.
- Enforced: The show's cast is full of insensitive jerks with medical problems, so the odds of some kind of painful karmic backlash occurring to one of the characters is quite high.
- Lampshaded: Immediately after making the aneurysm joke, Bob accidentally breaks a few mirrors, walks under a few ladders, and bumps into a guy dressed as the Grim Reaper for a costume party.
- Invoked: Later writers found the joke insensitive, and have a ruptured aneurysm kill Bob (the character) for just this reason.
- Exploited: It's Sweeps Week, and the show needs better ratings, so Tonight Someone Dies! Care to take three guesses who, and how it happens?
- Defied: Bob's joke was about a survivable (but still quite painful) ailment, which Bob later contracts and is cured of.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: "Oh, man... that joke will be funny until about three seconds after the headlines announce Bob's death from a ruptured aneurysm."
Back to "Funny Aneurysm" Moment