- Straight: Bob, who is The Alcoholic, usually drinks what is clearly a beer, but thanks to pressure from the censors, he has a line describing it as root beer.
- Exaggerated: Bob drinks what is clearly a beer, but thanks to pressure from the censors, he has a line describing it as really dirty tap water.
- Downplayed: Bob drinks what is clearly a beer, but thanks to pressure from the censors, he has a line describing it as non-alcoholic.
- Justified: The censors have Bob written as a teetotaller who tries very hard to hide the fact to avoid looking soft (to the point of making his soft drinks look like something harder).
- Inverted: Bob is animated drinking clear liquid from a plastic bottle, but the dub changes it to Vodka even though he shows no signs of getting drunk.
- Subverted: It's made to look like Bob's drinking's being covered up by censors, but it's later made clear it was an In-Universe lie on Bob's part to hide his drinking problem.
- Double Subverted: However, the censors do insist that Bob ends up going teetotal after this, and all later instances of him drinking have this trope.
- Parodied: The dub has Bob drink "water", but doesn't change the fact he plainly gets hammered.
- Zig Zagged: Bob frequently drinks beer but the dub ends up being inconsistent on what he actually supposed to be drinking.
- Alcohol isn't mentioned in any way.
- Characters drink alcohol and nothing is done to censor it.
- Enforced: "Hey, watch what you drink! This is a family show!
- Lampshaded: "Alice will never find out I'm actually drinking beer!"
- Invoked: The show has No Fourth Wall. Bob needs some really dirty water to defeat the Monster of the Week, so he picks up a beer to use, knowing it'll become dirty water in the dub.
- Exploited: The show has No Fourth Wall. Bob The Teetotaler happily drinks beer knowing it will become something else in the dub.
- Defied: ???
"That doesn't look like tea..."
"It is tea...Long Island Iced Tea!"
- Conversed: "I bet that 'tea' was was beer in the original dub".
Back to Frothy Mugs of Water