: A work keeps continuing long after the creator intended.
- Straight: Troper's Saga was supposed to be a two-volume work, but now there are more sequels due to popular demand.
- Exaggerated: Troper's Saga was a standalone short story. There is now a Troper's Saga XXV with many more in the pipeline!
- Downplayed: The original Troper's Saga is complete, but spinoffs and side stories in the same universe are still around.
- Justified: The author recognizes the popularity of Troper's Saga and really needs the money.
- Inverted: Stillborn Franchise
- Subverted: The author had notes set aside just in case Troper's Saga became a huge franchise, and while he vacates the position of Troper's Saga author, his successors follow these notes religiously.
- Double Subverted: ...until said notes were all exhausted, leaving future installments completely off the rails.
- Parodied: The publishers of Troper's Saga have a machine specifically built to pump out more installments of Troper's Saga.
- Zig Zagged: The Troper's Saga series has been losing steam ever since Part IV and the author is getting sick of having to churn out more, but then another author decides to reboot the series into something fresh, which inspires the original author to write future installments that carry the original spirit of the series it had in the beginning.
- Averted: Troper's Saga is a standalone series with no plans of a sequel.
- Enforced: The publisher demanded that more installments of Troper's Saga be created in order to maintain their Cash Cow Franchise.
- Lampshaded: "Troper's Saga XV? I had no idea this series was still around."
- Invoked: "We've got to keep making more Troper's Saga! Think of the merchandising!"
- Exploited: The author of Troper's Saga ensures he and his estate get a cut of all the merchandising, spinoffs, and anything else their publisher pushes for as long as the franchise keeps going.
- Defied: Torch the Franchise and Run
- Discussed: "Hope you like writing Troper's Saga, because you're gonna be writing more of it for the next several years!"
- Conversed: "They've been churning out a new Troper's Saga every year for the past decade. You'd think people would've gotten sick of it by now."
- Deconstructed: Inevitably, Sequelitis sets in, and the public perception of Troper's Saga XVI is of something irredeemably God-awful. The author quits the series and never appears in public again.
Back to Franchise Zombie