: Four-fingered hands.
A common simplification in cartoons.
- Straight: Bob, a cartoon character, has four fingers on each hand.
- Exaggerated: Bob only has one finger.
- Downplayed: Bob's hands are missing part of their fifth finger.
- Bob is not of this Earth.
- He is a finger amputee.
- Inverted: Bob has six fingers on each hand.
- Subverted: Bob seems to have four fingers, but the hand was viewed at an angle that the fifth finger will seem to have been missing.
- Double Subverted: The fifth finger is a prosthesis.
- Parodied: Bob's world has everything modified for a four-fingered species, including five-string guitars and a base 8 counting system.
- Zig Zagged: Bob is stated to have four fingers on each hand. He really has five, but the fifth finger is a prosthesis… but only for one hand.
- Averted: Everyone's hands have five fingers.
- Enforced: Low budget forces animators to draw only four fingers per hand.
- Lampshaded: "Have you ever wondered why we have four fingers? Why not five? Why not three?"
- Invoked: A spell is made removing the pinkies of everyone's hands.
- Exploited: A villain uses the spell, taking advantage of everyone's unfamiliarity with four-fingered hands.
- Defied: A four fingered genetic engineer decides to make a new life have five fingers.
- Discussed: "I can't pick up my sword! Stupid four-fingered hands!"
- Conversed: "I wonder who started drawing people with four fingers on each hand."
Back to Four-Fingered Hands