: The final enemy you encounter in a video game, normally the Big Bad
- Straight: At the end of FireZone, Bob has fought his way through a post-apocalyptic world; at the very end of his journey, he finally comes face-to-face with Emperor Evulz for a duel to the death.
- Exaggerated: In the final level of FireZone, Evulz uses Iron Dust to absorb his entire army and now stands inside the heart of his own technological horror. Bob must pull out all the stops to end his evil reign once and for all.
- Downplayed: Emperor Evulz does face Bob at the end, but he is surprisingly easy to defeat.
- Justified: Emperor Evulz is the main villain and it's Bob's mission to stop him, so it's only logical for them to have an epic final battle.
- Inverted: Bob actually kills Evulz in the first level.
- Subverted: In the room where Bob is supposed to fight the Emperor, the ceiling collapses and the villain is buried in rubble...
- Double Subverted: ...So with Bob's Arch-Enemy already dead, he walks away. At which point Evulz rises up and Bob sees his true identity up close and personal. Time to finish the job.
- Parodied: Bob fights his way through Evulz's fortress, killing off scores of his best men and monsters... And then challenges Evulz to a game of Magic: The Gathering.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: No Final Boss for You
- Enforced: Bob has completely destroyed Emperor Evulz forces, and he is no longer a threat to the world anyway, however, Bob's superiors demand a final confrontation with Evulz to finish the job.
- Lampshaded: "We've spent enough time fighting henchmen. It's time for the final battle with their boss!"
- Invoked: ???
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Emperor Evulz is killed in a cutscene, or was killed by someone else long before Bob's arrival.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Played For Laughs: The stage 3 boss has aspirations of one day becoming a final boss.
- Deconstructed: Evulz challenges Bob to a one-on-one battle at his base, but once he gets there, a hologram of Evulz greets him and explains that he's rigged the base to explode. What, did he think that Evulz would actually risk a direct battle?
- Reconstructed: It turns out that it was just an attempt to make Bob lose the will to fight. He sees right through this and kicks down a door to reveal the real Evulz, then the real fight begins.
Back to Final Boss