: The villains attaching a bomb of some form (a collar
more often than not) to a person to coerce them into doing things for the villains.
- Straight: Taylor gets captured by the villains, who put an explosive collar on him and order him to find the lost staff of Mount Schuler for them if he wants his freedom back.
- Exaggerated: Taylor gets a literal suitcase nuke handcuffed to his wrist.
- Downplayed: Taylor gets an explosive bracelet put on his wrist: Not as dramatic, but still deadly.
- Justified: The bad guys couldn't find any way to coerce Taylor into working for them other than threatening his life in this way.
- Inverted: To deter attempts on his life, Taylor is carrying a bomb that will explode if he dies.
- Subverted: After thorough examination by his Gadgeteer Genius friend, the bomb in the collar turns out to be fake.
- Double Subverted: However, he finds another bomb that the villains implanted into Taylor's body, and that one is real.
- Parodied: The "explosive leash" in question is an old-style ball and chain, only the ball is a Cartoon Bomb.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: The villains use something else to coerce Taylor, like kidnap and threaten his loved ones.
- Enforced: The work that heavily influenced the lead writer was Battle Royale, and he decided to include a Homage to it.
- Lampshaded: "You might have noticed that you have a collar around your neck. No points for guessing what it does."
- Invoked: ???
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: The main character knows the bad guys use Explosive Leashes, and keeps the phone number of the world's foremost Bomb Disposal expert in case he gets captured.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: Taylor's collar goes off by accident, leaving him dead and the villains without their MacGuffin.
- Reconstructed: The bad guys use this measure of coercion only when their victims are considered expendable.
- Played For Drama: The emotional consequences of having an explosive collar around your neck are explored in detail.
Now, you either go back to Explosive Leash
, or your head goes boom. Understand?