Playing With: Evil Is Cool
Basic Trope: Evil is inherently stylish, awe-inspiring and badass.
Back to Evil Is Cool
- Straight: Emperor Evulz is an Evil Overlord whose schemes and heinous actions always fall straight into Refuge in Audacity.
- Emperor Evulz is Rated M for Manly, and completely steals the show by virtue of being so absurdly Crazy Awesome. For example, one of his lesser feats involved kicking Earth's moon out of its orbit, transforming it into a super projectile that obliterated Mars in a single hit. Why he did it?! Because it was amusing!
- Every villain is cool in their own particular way.
- Evulz is irredeemably evil, often crossing the Moral Event Horizon, but his badassery is enough for us to forget that fact.
- Downplayed: Evulz has a Badass Cape, nice hair, and can hold his own in a fight, but he's not that cool.
- Subverted: As Evulz is making his amazingly cool entrance, he slips on a banana peel and plants his face in the ground.
- Double Subverted: ...splitting the planet in half with his awesome nose and doing a quadruple backflip to strike an even cooler pose.
- Parodied: Emperor Evulz tries way too hard to be "cool", and everyone mocks him for it.
- Zig Zagged: Evulz is cool and awesome—except at the end of episodes, when his plan of the week fails, at which point he becomes a whiny loser.
- Averted: Evil is not seen as cool in any way.
- Lampshaded: "I kind of expect to hear John Williams music whenever our leader strolls into a room."
- Invoked: Emperor Evulz spent his youth getting education in rhetoric, design, and literary theory, and proceeds to make himself as cool as he can to get that sweet good publicity.
- Exploited: Emperor Evulz uses his massive coolness factor to lure others to the dark side.
- Defied: ???
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: Because evil looks so cool, the people flock to support Emperor Evulz and help him conquer the world... only to discover that evil is not so cool when it rules the world with an iron fist and stomps on your face every time it wants a laugh.
- Plotted A Good Waste: The authors deliberately make Emperor Evulz as cool as possible... and then have him gleefuly leap over the Moral Event Horizon in a horrible and blatant way, as to make a point about the seductive nature of evil.
Back to Evil Is Cool