: When the villain is like the hero seen through a mirror, darkly.
- Straight: Aleksandra is a genius who has grown from an impoverished, abused background to make amazing science-fictional advances in forensic science, and has revolutionized the world. Borislava is equally intelligent, and uses her intelligence to subvert Aleksandra's technology and justice system - and she came from a similar background.
- Every major villain Alexsandra faces is a dark inversion of some aspect of her character.
- Borislava is literally Alexsandra's Evil Twin, and their occasional flashes of Twintuition keep them obsessed with opposing each other even if they'd rather live and let live.
- Downplayed: The similarities between Aleksandra and Borislava are present, but the story doesn't make much of it.
- Borislava is actually an evil clone of Aleksandra, with many of her memories.
- Borislava had a similar upbringing to Aleksandra but chose to be evil. It's an excellent way to show just how bad or dangerous she could be if she didn't have a heroic upbringing.
- Boris and Alek weren't actually from similar backgrounds, but they have such a similar mindset that Boris decides to drop false "hints" that they may not be that different.
- Inverted: Aleksandra is an Anti-Hero Villain Protagonist, and she meets Chen, who had the same background as her but is a Messiah Hero Antagonist.
- Borislava goes on and on about how her life was so similar to Aleksandra's life, how they're Not So Different after all - and then it turns out she was lying and she was actually the daughter of a rich philanthropist.
- Or, alternatively, Borislava is not evil, but brainwashed.
- Double Subverted: And then it turns out that Borislava's mother, although rich and loved by the public, abused her as much as Aleksandra's, and despite the class differences they really are very similar.
- Parodied: Everyone comments on how alike the two are... But neither of them can see the resemblance, and find this very annoying.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: Borislava is nothing like Aleksandra.
- Enforced: In a tokusaku series, (or a similar, special effects based flick) the costume department decides to take one of heroes' spare costumes and tweak it to create an evil counterpart, not because it was part of the original plan, but due to budget constraints.
- Lampshaded: "Man, why are all my villains basically me, but evil? Is God trying to give me a hint or something?"
- Borislava's family and Aleksandra's family knew each other, and since Aleksandra was obviously going to become good, Borislava's family forced her into evil in because "Aleksandra has to have an evil twin".
- Borislava is a brainwashed Tyke Bomb created specifically to be a Foil to Alexsandra, and her mirror-image backstory was invented to inspire jealousy and hatred.
- Exploited: Borislava is able to manipulate Aleksandra and/or predict her next move because "That's what I would do in that situation."
- Defied: When she sees that Aleksandra is so similar to her, Borislava changes her methods from scientific genius to political power, thinking that being different will give her an edge.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
Back to Evil Counterpart