Playing With: Everything's Better with Penguins
: Penguins for the sake of having penguins.
- Straight: The Cutie Carol has a pet baby penguin, Pippy.
- The Cutie has an army of penguins.
- Carol IS a penguin.
- Downplayed: ???
- Justified: The show is set in a zoo, Antarctica, South Africa, western South America, the Galapagos, New Zealand, or anywhere that you might find penguins.
- It's a penguin world, and they've got a few humans around for show.
- Killer penguins!
- Subverted: Bob is obsessed with penguins and either collects penguin memorabilia or tends to see a penguin when anyone else seems some black and white together.
- Double Subverted: The penguins are actually obsessed with Bob and are stalking him, or someone who knows of Bob's obsession is manipulating it for humor or drama.
- Everything is a penguin-[something]. Penguin-house, penguin-car, penguin-television.
- The story is a drama about a detective penguin solving the mystery of a murder of another penguin. Said story is very dark.
- Zig Zagged: Carol gets a baby penguin as a gift because she loves them so much, but raising one turns out to be harder than she ever expected. So they attempt to return Pippy to the wild, which gives them an excuse to see tons of cute penguins in their natural enviroment... and also getting massacred by predators because Nature is a cruel mistress. Following the seal lion incident, Carol decides she can't possibly risk Pippy's life, and keeps him as a pet, dealing with the consequences as they come.
- Averted: The show is set in a zoo or Antarctica, but no penguins are ever seen.
- Enforced: "Penguins are the hot new thing right now; let's throw one in as Carol's cuddly little pet! It'll be so cute!"
- Lampshaded: "How'd you get a pet penguin, anyway?"
- Invoked: During a trip to the Antarctic, Bob is extremely excited about the fact they might see penguins there and deliberately seeks them out.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: The show is deliberately set in a place where penguins would never be present, like the Sahara desert, or in space.
- Discussed: "Check!" (or "Tick!") "The first Galápagos penguin I've ever seen!"
- Conversed: "All the networks seem to be doing shows with penguins this evening."
- Deconstructed: Pippy's egg was stolen from his parents so it could be given to Carol as a gift since she loves penguins so much. Pippy has difficulty adapting to the starkly different environment that Carol and her friends live in, but can't be returned to the wild because he couldn't possibly survive.
- Reconstructed: Carol studies penguins and buys the necessary supplies to take care of Pippy, or moves to a place where many other people have pet penguins providing a nice environment for Pippy to live while remaining her pet.
Back to Everything's Better with Penguins