Playing With: Enemy Within
Basic Trope: The Split Personality is an antagonist.
Back to Enemy Within
- Straight: Bob, the shy and kind protagonist, develops a split personality, Evil Bob , who is rude and offensive, and causes problems for all his friends.
- Bob is a saint. Evil Bob is a supervillain planning to Take Over the World, and doesn't care how many dogs he has to kick or babies he has to eat to do it.
- Bob is altruistic to the point that he'd sacrifice his life to save even a wicked person. Evil Bob is a terrifyingly amoral Humanoid Abomination, dead set on exterminating reality.
- Bob is loving and kind. Evil Bob is angry and lashes out at people from time to time.
- Bob's "Evil Side" is just his negative characteristics (anger, pride, etc.) and he has to suppress them.
- Justified: A traumatic event triggered a rage inside Bob that is battling for control.
- A traumatic event triggers a split personality inside Bob. This new personality was created to help Bob get through his problems.
- Bob is a Stepford Smiler and his "split personality" is really Bob when his facade breaks.
- Double Subverted: That was a ruse. The new personality is manipulating Bob and giving him bad advice.
- Parodied: Bob has a demon in fetus form literally inside his brain.
- Zig Zagged: Bob has four personalities; Evil Bob, who loves to rape children; Mark, a Straw Loser who bluffs to burn people down that used to be Bob's original personality before he had a traumatic incident; Tom, a Stepford Smiler Broken Ace that he developed as a defence mechanism; and Tim, a Friend to All Living Things who is a moral compass to Bob.
- Bob only has one personality.
- His other personality is exactly the same.
- Enforced: "How can I add angst to Bob, the saint who might just well have achieved nirvana? Give him an evil personality trying to take over!"
- Lampshaded: "Bob, I will give you an advice. Your worst enemy is yourself."
- Invoked: Ksogrians inflict psychological trauma to Bob so that he would help their plan to destroy the world instead of fighting against them as the prophecy told.
- Exploited: Emperor Evulz uses Bob's evil split personality so that he can brainwash him into a mindless killing machine.
- Defied: Bob seeks professional help, and with the right combination of drugs and therapy, Bob manages to take control of his demons.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
Back to Enemy Within