: For some reason The Grim Reaper
, or an Anthropomorphic Personification
of some other concept intrinsic to existence (or the ending thereof), takes a serious dislike to The Hero
and has it in for them.
- Bob is an enemy of Death.
- Bob is an enemy of the Shinigami.
- Downplayed: ???
- Bob upset The Plan Death made for something or someone.
- Death dislikes Bob for making his/her job harder or even impossible (like saving lives, cheating death or becoming immortal).
- Death's boss orders him/her to antagonize Bob.
- Bob kills lots of people, making Death overworked and frustrated.
- Turns out that Death antagonizes everyone, and Bob just has an inflated sense of self-importance.
- Bob and Death are Vitriolic Best Buds
- Double Subverted: But Death especially hates Bob.
- Parodied: Death offer to settle the whole thing with a game of... Dissidia. And then it turns out that Death is one of those "Stop Having Fun" Guys (pun intended).
- Zig Zagged: Sometimes Bob fight Death like there is no tomorrow (possibly literal, shall Bob ever lose), the other day they went to watch football match together.
- Enforced: It's one of those feel-good stories where The Hero spits on Death's face and wins. Unlike in, you know, Real Life.
- Lampshaded: "Hope your insurance policy is up to date!"
- Invoked: Bob bluffs his way out of a room full of assassins by noting that they'd have to be pretty stupid to "steal" a kill from Death itself.
- Exploited: Emperor Evulz set up a deal with
the devil Death to destroy Bob. Or with Bob to destroy Death, whichever is more profitable for him.
- Defied: Death's boss has a "stay away from this guy" policy regarding Bob.
- Discussed: "Death won't kill ya, oh no, it likes to toy with you. No "sweet release", just oodles of agony before the curtain call."
- Conversed: "Y'know, if Death is explicitly out to kill this character, why don't they just appeal to some 'Life' entity or even God to even things out? It's hardly fair."
- Deconstructed: The Problem With Fighting Death.
- Reconstructed: Bob goes with one (or more) of the suggested solution in the above trope page. And it/they works!
Are you sure you want to go back to being Enemies With Death
? It might not be worth the trouble, you know.