'''Basic Trope''': A character is sad, so they get drunk.
* '''Straight''': Bob just lost his job, so he gets drunk that night.
** Bob just lost his job, his dad died, and his wife is leaving him, so he gets drunk that night.
** Bob just lost his job, so he gets drunk, smokes, and gets high that night.
* '''Downplayed''': Bob lost his job, so he drinks slightly more than usual, but not enough to get drunk.
* '''Justified''': Bob is very sad and drinking is how he copes.
** Bob usually drinks every night, but he sticks to soda and water the night he loses his job.
** Bob gets drunk to celebrate a new job or a promotion.
* '''Subverted''': Bob just lost his job, so he goes to the local bar...because he saw a "Help Wanted" sign in the window.
* '''Double Subverted''': But when the owner refuses to hire him, he decides to just get drunk instead.
* '''Parodied''': Bob chips a nail, and immediately starts chugging grain alcohol straight out of the bottle. The camera fades to black, and the next shot is of Bob in a gutter crying.
* '''Zig Zagged''': ???
* '''Averted''': Bob doesn't drink.
* '''Enforced''': ???
* '''Lampshaded''': "That's his fifth one tonight. You think something's bothering him?"
* '''Invoked''': After Bob tells his buddy Carl that he's losing his job, Carl tells him they should go drink.
* '''Exploited''': Carl wants to extort money from Bob and he knows how suggestible he is when he's drunk, so he suggests they go out drinking when Bob loses his job.
* '''Defied''': "Much as I may want to get drunk tonight, that time would be better spent polishing up my resume."
* '''Discussed''': ???
* '''Conversed''': ???
* '''Played For Laughs''': After a particularly brutal run through the TraumaCongaLine, Bob is found the next day with a nasty hangover...and wearing a dress. And he had been drinking ''[[DrunkOnMilk ginger ale]]!''
* '''Played For Drama''': Bob gets hit with a TraumaCongaLine, and spends a night at the bar to try to find some comfort. It only works for a brief time, and then Bob has the consequences of the trauma, a hangover, AND a massive bill to worry about.
Back to DrowningMySorrows
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Deconstructed''': ???
%%* '''Reconstructed''': ???