Playing With: Do with Him as You Will
Basic Trope: Hero hands the villain over to the villain's former victims.
Back to Do with Him as You Will
- Straight: Hiro and his friends have just ousted the corrupt official Iwan Tumuchs. Though he could easily execute Iwan himself, Hiro chooses to spare his life...and hand him over to Debora and her family, whom Iwan had tormented.
- After breaking Iwan's stranglehold on the town, Hiro turns him over to the mob forming in the main square.
- After defeating Iwan in a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown, Hiro breaks Iwan's limbs and throws him to Debora's family.
- The Drifter visits one town after another, defeating any bad guys he finds. He never kills anyone himself, just hands them over to the same people they wronged and leaves...
- Downplayed: The Team hand Iwan Tumuchs over to the local militia who helped them bring him down in the first place.
- Hiro and his party weren't as personally affected by Iwan's crimes, and feel his victims have the right to decide his fate.
- This is a part of Hiro's Disproportionate Retribution, he's more than glad to torture Iwan without doing the dirty jobs on his own.
- Inverted: Hiro stops an angry mob from killing Iwan... because he wants the pleasure of killing him personally.
- Subverted: Hiro hands Iwan over to Debora and her family, expecting them to kill him for how he treated them in the past. Debora instead declares that "We're better than him. We won't stoop that low."
- Double Subverted: Upon hearing this, Iwan taunts their inability to act until her sister steps in and skewers him, much to his shock.
- Parodied: ???
- Zig Zagged: Hiro hands Iwan to Debora and her family, claiming that as his victims, they should be able to be the ones deciding his fate. However, Debora hands Iwan back to Hiro, claiming that as his victor, he should be able to be the one deciding his fate. This goes on until Hiro accidentally throws Iwan to a nearby mob, who proceed to murder Iwan in a horrible and embarassing way.
- Averted: Hiro always kills the villains himself when he gets the chance.
- "We don't want to portray Hiro as a cold-blooded murderer, since the fans will get the wrong idea. I know! Let's have him hand Iwan over the Debora's family when he's done with him!"
- "We want to portray Hiro as a cold-blooded torturer eviler than Iwan, and he needs a Kick the Dog moment. I know! Let's have him dismember Iwan and throw him over the Debora's family when he's done with him!"
- Lampshaded: Debora throws a Not So Different speech to Hiro after delivering a Mercy Kill.
- Invoked: Hiro deliberately breaks Iwan's limbs and throws him to Debora.
- Exploited: Iwan pretended to be powerless so that Hiro would hand him over to Debora's family, where he would finish the whole masscare.
- Defied: Hiro refuses to hand Iwan over to "mob justice," either killing him outright or throwing him in jail, away from those he wronged.
- Discussed: "I found his tainted blood disturbing, so, do as you wish and just finish him off already!"
- Conversed: "You don't have the guts to spill my blood, do you?" "Perhaps she will?"
- Deconstructed: Hiro does this to dodge any thoughts of If You Kill Him, You Will Be Just Like Him, while still getting to enjoy seeing people like Iwan punished. Marcy eventually notices and calls him on this.
- Reconstructed: Hiro leaves Iwan mercy of those he oppressed because it is a far more fitting end than a random stranger killing him.
- Played For Laughs: Iwan's victims condemn him to a Fate Worse Than Death: An involuntary makeover, cutting off his hair!
- Played For Drama:
- After being violently disarmed, Iwan tries to flee. However, Hiro and his companions deliberately herd him towards the waiting mob.
- Altenatively, Deborah's evil father kills Iwan himself, to show how dangerous he is.
Back to Do with Him as You Will