: A trope that has been overused to the point of being highly ridiculed and admonished
- Straight: Trope X has been featured in every Rom Com known to man, sparking groans of disgust whenever it is invoked.
- Exaggerated: Trope X has been so overused that using it in any work of fiction is grounds for execution in 14 countries.
- Downplayed: Trope X generally gets a groan, but it's such a good transition to other tropes that people accept that it's put in.
- Inverted: Trope X is Too Awesome to Use.
- Clever writers find a new way to present Trope X that breaks the mold and revitalizes its use.
- Undead Horse Trope.
- Double Subverted: ...until every other writer starts following the trend, leading it back into despair
- Parodied: One writer displays Trope X in a intentionally mocking way.
- Zig Zagged: A trope that is continually renewed and overused in an endless cycle.
- Averted: Writers have been careful in their use of Trope X, so it has never become overused.
- Enforced: The trope is So Cool It's Awesome and sparks fits of laughter from the audience whenever it is invoked, so producers force writers to keep using it.
- Lampshaded: "Not again! Did he really just have the hero (Insert Trope X Here)?"
- Invoked: A writer has been battling for weeks with writer's block, and finally decides to cop out by just including every typical trope he can think of.
- Exploited: The writer is a Trolling Creator and deliberately puts in material everyone will hate for a laugh.
- Defied: Instead of succumbing to temptation, said writer takes months rewriting his Magnum Opus to perfection, eschewing the use of cliched and useless tropes.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: A writer hated the trope so much, that he writes Trope X in a way that would be presented in real life, at an utmost devastating example.
- Reconstructed: Then a new writer decides he liked the trope, and plays it taking into account the earlier writer's criticism but bringing up explicit circumstances in which the trope's presence doesn't make things worse.
- Played For Laughs: A film is written featuring every Discredited Trope known to man, parodying the type of films it is based on.
Back to Discredited Trope