: A tragic event that leads a character to lose hope.
- Straight: Ken kills Sayaka, which causes Chihaya to lose all hope.
- Chihaya loses hope to such a degree that she commits suicide.
- Chihaya loses hope to such a degree that she becomes a Nietzsche Wannabe.
- All of Chihaya's friends and family die, on the same day she loses her house and her ability to walk. She'll never be able to dance again.
- Downplayed: Heroic BSOD
- Justified: Fate has dealt Chihaya a losing hand. It's natural to feel that things will never get better.
- The death of Sayaka motivates Chihaya to live life to the fullest.
- While Chihaya lost hope ages ago, once the villain is defeated, she manages to recover some of it.
- Subverted: Darkest Hour - Chihaya starts to lose all hope after Ken kills Sayaka, but gets better.
- Double Subverted: ...except it was all an act, and she really has crossed the Despair Event Horizon.
- Parodied: Ken steals Sayaka's pencil, which causes Chihaya to make a Face-Heel Turn and become an Omnicidal Maniac.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: Nothing traumatic happens to Chihaya.
- Enforced: Creator Breakdown
- Lampshaded: "I'll never feel happiness again."
- Invoked: Ken deliberately kills someone close to Chihaya to break her.
- Exploited: ... and attacks her once her guard is down.
- Defied: Chihaya refuses to give up hope, knowing that things will get better through time.
- Discussed: "Ever since Sayaka got killed, Chihaya's not done anything but sit there, and she barely eats!"
- Conversed: "We need to show the heroine at her lowest so we can develop her character and have her recover as a stronger person."
- Played For Laughs: She just lives the rest of her life in fetal position.
Oh no! It's the end of the page! How can we continue on past this point? Well, we could go back to Despair Event Horizon