Playing With: Delivery Guy
: A man helping a woman give birth, usually in an emergency situation.
- Straight: Bob helps Alice deliver her baby.
- Exaggerated: Bob is Squicked by the childbirth, and some complication arises that makes this birth more drawn out than he'd like it to be.
- Downplayed: Alice is calm and collected and is perfectly capable of delivering without assistance. Bob is panicked and tries to help as much as he can but all Alice needs is just some privacy and hot water. She still thanks him for being a nice guy.
- Bob is a doctor, nurse, EMT, etc.
- Alice goes into labor, but Bob is the only one around besides her, and there's no way of getting medical help for whatever reason(s).
- Alice is assisted by another woman (with or without medical training.)
- Gender Inverted: Alice helps Bob give birth.
- Subverted: Alice is holding Bob's hand and is being assisted by another woman...
- Double Subverted: Who faints at the sight of the blood, and Bob must replace her.
- Parodied: When Alice's midwife faints, Bob tries to take her place and faints too.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- There are no men to help Alice give birth.
- Alice is one of those few women who is able to give birth without any assistance so it doesn't matter if there is anyone who can help her.
- Alice does not give birth.
- Enforced: Rule of Funny or Rule of Drama, depending on what the writer(s) are going for.
- Lampshaded: ???
- Invoked: Alice goes into labor After the End, and Bob is the only other survivor she's encountered thus far.
- Exploited: ???
- Bob doesn't want to (either because of Squick or because he's afraid he'll screw it up or both) and instead goes to find a doctor or midwife.
- If anyone, especially a man, tries to help Alice give birth she tells them to go away because she knows that she is Made of Iron.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: Bob is Squicked, and if this is his wife or girlfriend, that could be the trauma that may cause him to hit the Relationship Ceiling. And Alice is screwed if complications arise and Bob has no medical training.
- Reconstructed: Bob gets over the Squick and does what needs to be done. And even without formal medical training, Bob manages to help the birth go smoothly. If complications arise, his quick thinking helps to avert problems.
- Played For Laughs: Bob is making "EWWWW!!!!" faces while he helps Alice.
- Played For Drama: The birth is very difficult, and Bob has no medical training.
Back to Delivery Guy