Playing With: Death of the Hypotenuse
: Someone in the Love Triangle
dies so that the other two can be together.
- Straight: Bob still has feelings for his ex-girlfriend, Alice, who is now dating Chris. Chris dies and Bob is there for Alice, which rekindles her feelings for Bob.
- Exaggerated: Bob is the only one of Alice's boyfriends who hasn't died shortly after they started dating her. She eventually gets the hint and starts dating Bob again.
- Downplayed: Chris falls into a coma so that Bob and Alice can get together.
- Justified: Chris knew that Alice still had feelings for Bob as well and, knowing he was going to die, encouraged Alice and Bob to get together in his will.
- Inverted: Alice and Bob die, and are together in the afterlife.
- Double Subverted:
- Parodied: Alice gets with Chris after she and Bob break up. Chris gets struck by lightning literally the second after Alice asks him out.
- Zig Zagged: Bob has feelings for Alice, but decides to get together with Delilah, but then Chris dies leaving Alice free, but Bob stays with Delilah until she dies. Bob is about to go after Alice again until Chris comes Back from the Dead. Chris is then Killed Off for Real.
- Chris doesn't die, and he and Alice stay together.
- Chris breaks up with Alice, but stays alive.
- There is no Love Triangle; Alice only loves Bob.
- Enforced: "We need to get Alice and Bob together, but we have no spare lady to pair Chris with. Eh...let's bump him off".
- Lampshaded: "Sometimes I think that Chris was supposed to die just so we could be together."
- Invoked: See Murder the Hypotenuse, Die for Our Ship.
- Exploited: ???
- Discussed: "Sorry, Bob. You can't win by default just because Chris is dead."
- Conversed: "It's obvious that Bob and Alice are gonna get together. Poor Chris, we hardly knew 'im".
- Deconstructed: Bob watches Chris die in a horrible accident and later wonders if part of him let his rival die so that he could be with Alice. Alice suspects this as well and venomously tells Bob that she never wants to see him ever again.
- Reconstructed: Years later, Bob has worked through what turned out to be survivor's guilt and Alice came to realize she was irrationally lashing out in her grief. The two reconcile and eventually marry.
- Played For Laughs: Chris tries to kill himself so Bob can be with Alice, but always fails in slapstick ways.
- Played For Drama:
- Chris gasps his last in sobbing Alice' arms, expressing his love for her in a faint voice while even Bob is holding his hand. Afterwards both need an angsty eternity to recover and start a relationship.
- After Alice and Bob have been married for three years, Alice suspects that Bob murdered Chris. She shoots him and then herself in a Murder-Suicide.
Back to Death of the Hypotenuse