: A character who is disliked by the audience for always needing to be rescued.
- Straight: Helpless Holly is hated for always being in danger.
- Downplayed: The fans think Holly had the potential to be a great character, if only they had explored her in detail. They could have examined her problems with society and herself, and explained why she remained naively idealistic despite that. Instead, she's mostly a load who constantly has to be kept away from danger.
- Helpless Holly is all the more popular because she always needs to be rescued.
- Holly is a God-Mode Sue.
- Subverted: The Fandom has the general consensus that the one isolated incident with Holly and the Distress Ball was very badly handled, but didn't lose any respect for the character herself.
- Double Subverted: Until it happens again.
- Parodied: Helpless Holly enjoys being kidnapped.
- Zig Zagged: Some fans like Helpless Holly, some fans dislike her, and some fans are indifferent towards her.
- Averted: Helpless Holly catches no fan flack for being helpless.
- Lampshaded: "Laddie, Helpless Holly's trapped in a well...again!"
- Invoked: Holly is handed the Distress Ball for an episode or a season. The fans are not amused.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: The author doesn't want this to happen, and so does not make her completely helpless.
- Discussed: "Holly really needs to learn to not get kidnapped..."
- Conversed: "It's easy to see where Helpless Holly got her name..."
- Deconstructed: Helpless Holly constantly getting herself in danger eventually leads to the death of her rescuer which turns her friends against her and causes them to abandon her to her fate the next time she gets in trouble.
- Reconstructed: After inadvertently causing the death or injury of a loved one due to getting herself in danger, Helpless Holly wises up and realizes that she needs to stop putting herself in danger. She trains to become stronger and also becomes much nicer to her friends since she realizes how much they constantly risk to get her out of danger.
Back to Damsel Scrappy