Playing With: Couple Bomb
Basic Trope: A Hollywood Power Couple makes a movie together, but the movie is a total flop.
Back to Couple Bomb
- Straight: Alice and Bob star as the lead characters in a film production of Romeo and Juliet, but the movie gets terrible reviews and doesn't do well at the box office.
- Exaggerated: Alice and Bob's production of Romeo and Juliet does so badly that their careers are over afterwards.
- Downplayed: The production gets a few bad reviews, but the mainstream public seems pleased overall.
- The chemistry Alice and Bob are known for simply doesn't match that of the characters, making them less compelling.
- The chemistry does show through, but in doing so, becomes jarring to the audience. ("Are we watching Alice and Bob: The Movie or Romeo and Juliet?")
- Alice and Bob began fighting a lot during production and their off-screen relationship problems color how the film plays out.
- Alice and Bob have gotten a lot of Wolverine Publicity (especially since they got together and became the new "it" couple), and people are starting to get sick of them.
- The world just doesn't want to see yet another production of Romeo and Juliet right now, no matter who stars in it. Alice and Bob just happen to be in the wrong production at the wrong time.
- Alice and Bob star in a production of Romeo and Juliet, and it becomes a box-office mega-hit with excellent overall reviews.
- Alice and Bob can't stand each other, and the film does poorly.
- Alice and Bob hate each other with burning passion, and they repeatedly try to sabotage each other. They make a film together, and it becomes an instant classic!
- Double Subverted:
- But they become a couple during the months it takes to film it, (or alternatively once were a couple and have since divorced or broken up) which ends up affecting how it does at the box office.
- But it still doesn't do very well, perhaps because of the Beta Couple.
- Parodied: Alice and Bob make a sex tape that convinces anyone who watches it to vow celibacy. (This does not in any way affect their own sex life.)
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Enforced: ???
- Lampshaded: "Oh, great, just what we need. Another Alice and Bob movie".
- Invoked: "Let's cast Alice and Bob, Hollywood's favorite couple as the leads!"
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: "If we cast Alice and Bob as the leads, it will mess everything up. Let's cast Charles as Romeo instead".
- Discussed: "Alice and Bob as Romeo and Juliet? I wonder how that will work out".
- Conversed: "Ever since Alice and Bob started starring together in movies, every movie they've been in just... Sucks".
Back to Couple Bomb