Playing With: Colony Drop
Basic Trope: A large object from space is being used as a weapon against people on Earth or other planet(s).
Back to Colony Drop
- Straight: Earth or an inhabited world now has colonies on the moon(s) and the LaGrange Points. The Big Bad de-stabilizes the moon(s) and the artificially made La Grange Point colonies and sends them hurling towards an inhabited world to kill lots of innocent people.
- Downplayed: The Big Bad is only able to redirect largish satellites, and has to rely on aiming them to do decent damage.
- The colonies are being sent far away from the planet's orbit, far out into outer space.
- The colonies are being launched from the planet.
- Double Subverted:
- But another villain comes along and has the same idea.
- The Hero only delayed it.
- Parodied: The colony is dropped on some eyesore of a sculpture/building/etc. or on some Acceptable Targets.
- Zig Zagged: The Big Bad screws with the gravity on the LaGrange Points, causing their colonies to come hurling towards the planet, but then The Hero helps them get back where they belong or sends them floating away. This happens several times.
- Averted: The space colonies are not dropped onto an a world.
- Enforced: "We need to create drama in a Sci-Fi Mecha series."
- Lampshaded: "Seriously? you're gonna throw a planet at them? do you even know what "Over Kill" means?"
- Invoked: The Big Bad messes with the gravitational fields.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: The Big Bad doesn't want to needlessly destroy innocent civilians, and so does not do this.
- Discussed: "Why would it be a good idea to destroy most of your potential underlings if World Domination is what you desire?"
- Conversed: "Meh. Wouldn't be Gundam without it!"
- Deconstructed: This is usually being done as a show of power, but if most life would be destroyed by large objects (natural or artificial) hurling towards a world, who will be left for the Big Bad to rule over?
- Played For Laughs: The colony falls onto the Big Bad himself, and no one else is harmed.
Back to Colony Drop