: Chekov's phaser in Star Trek
- Straight: Pavel Chekov is present and is carrying a phaser.
- Downplayed: Chekov borrows someone else's phaser.
- Justified: He is on a dangerous mission and has been issued a sidearm for safety reasons.
- Gunn Chekov has been issued a Paul.
- Or maybe, a phaser is carrying Chekov.
- Subverted: Chekov is told to leave his phaser on the Enterprise when he leaves...
- Double Subverted: ...and then it turns out that Chekov's Gun is a Chekhov's Gun.
- Meta-Subverted: Anton Yelchin is denied a concealed-carry permit.
- Zig Zagged: There is a gun, and there is a guy, but nobody is really sure what the guy's name is or what type of gun it is.
- Everyone has a phaser, but nobody is named Chekov.
- There is a Chekov, but he doesn't have a gun.
- No one is named Chekov and there are no guns.
- Enforced: Chekov is in a Massive Multiplayer Crossover and takes his phaser with him.
- Lampshaded: Spock says "it was only logical to assume that Chekov would be carrying a phaser in this situation".
- Invoked: Kirk issues Chekov a phaser.
- Exploited: The Organians trick Chekov into using his phaser to shoot one of their enemies.
- Defied: The Organians disable Chekov's phaser so he can't use it.
- Discussed: Wesley Crusher to Picard: "Can I have a phaser? Even Chekov got one on the original Enterprise".
- "I knew it! Chekov had a phaser on him the whole time!"
- "I had a feeling Chekov's gun would come in handy sometime".
- Implied: Kirk and Spock reminisce how Chekov's phaser saved them on their last mission.
- Deconstructed: Chekov tries to stun the alien running around the ship, but because he never uses it, he misses badly.
- Reconstructed: All crew members, including Chekov, are required to attend target practice regularly.
- Plotted A Good Waste: Chekov's gun is a major plot device.
- Played For Laughs: Chekov always has a phaser on him, even in the shower.
- Played For Drama: Chekov single-handedly saves the ship, Rambo-style, using only his phaser.
Playing With Chekov's Gun
is not recommended
. He has many hours of training; you might seriously hurt yourself or others