Playing With: Captain Obvious
: Stating the obvious.
- Straight: Bob always states the obvious.
- Exaggerated: Everything Bob says is so freakin' obvious that everyone should know it.
- Downplayed: While exploring a mysterious place, Bob comments on something that may be obvious to us, but is more than it meets the eye.
- Bob is such a ditz that he can only state, well, the obvious.
- Alternately, Bob is a robot and was not programmed with an understanding of "obviousness", so he states the obvious without realizing it.
- Bob points out the obvious to emphasise something.
- Bob has been cursed to make only statements that are obvious to everyone.
- Bob is in shock.
- Bob's friend Charlie is being Captain Oblivious, forcing Bob to state the obvious.
- Bob states the obvious as part of his thinking process because things make better sense to him when spoken aloud.
- Bob is deliberately being Captain Obvious as a form of snark, or so he can act as Snark Bait.
- Bob's lawyer advised him to state the obvious about his product to avoid a Frivolous Lawsuit.
- Subverted: Bob is watching the Super Bowl on TV with Heterosexual Life Partner Charlie. Bob says "I am not watching the Super Bowl." Charlie is amused.
- Double Subverted: Bob says "I am not watching the Super Bowl; I am watching a TV displaying the Super Bowl."
- Parodied: Bob is literally a superhero called Captain Obvious whose only superpower is to point out the glaringly obvious.
- Zig Zagged: Bob states the obvious to The Ditz Alice, who actually needs it to be stated to her, but when he's with more intelligent people he doesn't.
- Averted: Nothing obvious is stated.
- Enforced: Viewers Are Morons
- Lampshaded: "Thanks Bob! I really learned something!"
- Invoked: Bob is actually very perceptive, but uses the obvious statements as part of his Obfuscating Stupidity.
- Exploited: Bob uses obvious statements to hide not very obvious ones, when the latter should not be known to everyone else.
- Defied: Bob begins with "You know..." but Alice cuts him off and asks if he's actually pointing out something the others can't see. He apologizes and shuts up.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
This link goes back to Captain Obvious