: A character who is constantly put through hell for laughs
- Straight: Bevis T. Monkey's day was unlucky: He got hit in the groin and was stung by bees.
- Bevis T. Monkey's day was unlucky: He got mugged and was stabbed.
- Iron Butt Monkey
- Poor Bevis T. Monkey was hit in the groin by bees.
- The Chew Toy
- Bevis T. Monkey gets hit in the face, and stung by one bee every month.
- The whole cast regularly takes comical abuse, Bevis just takes the worst of it.
- A truck was about to hit Bevis T. Monkey when he was crossing the street but stopped at the last minute...
- Bevis's abuse gets to the point were it isn't funny anymore.
- Bevis is usually unlucky but he occasionally gets some luck.
- Double Subverted:
- Parodied: Pretty much everything Bevis T. Monkey does fails spectacularly. And his life is a seemingly endless chain of Disaster Dominoes and Humiliation Conga. He's got to have sanity (or faith) made of iron if he's not screaming Smite Me, O Mighty Smiter by now.
- Zig Zagged: Bevis almost gets hit by a car, but the car stops. What does hit him is the baseball that rolls off the roof of a nearby building. But it turns it to be autographed, and worth thousands of dollars! Then he trips and falls down a hill. Into a river. But he finds a gold ring in the bottom of the stream! So he goes to the pawn shop... and gets mauled by a bear on the way.
- Averted: Bevis T. Monkey is not particularly unlucky, nor is he especially lucky.
- Enforced: The creators needed comedy relief so they created Bevis
- Lampshaded: “Why do these bad things keep happening to me?”
- Invoked: "I'm bored let's go pick on Bevis T. Monkey because that's always good for a laugh."
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: "Mock me will you? I'll kill you! I'LL KILL YOU ALL!"
- Discussed: "Is it just me or does God seem to hate Bevis T. Monkey?"
- Conversed: "Maybe we should cut Monkey some slack." Beat "Naaaaaahhhh..."
- The constant unluckiness kept bothering Bevis with increasing levels of misfortune to the point of breakage.
- One day, Bevis gets a shotgun and, without hesitating, starts to chase the people who makes his life hell, killing them mercilessy.
- All the abuse Bevis goes through causes him to become very bitter and cynical to the point where he's afraid of being happy lest something bad happens as a result. Whenever anything goes his way, he becomes paranoid that its merely a set up for him to be knocked down in an exceptionally cruel way.
- All of the misfortune forces Bevis to overcompensate, resulting in the equivalent of Training from Hell. Character Development ensues, and Bevis promptly takes a level in badass.
- Alternatively, in spite of all his bad luck, Bevis is The Stoic or manages to keep a Stiff Upper Lip. Due to this mentality, he never sees his bad luck as anything more than a bother or annoyance (even if logic says he really should). His low key reaction to the bad stuff that happens to him only serves to enhance the comedy.
- Played For Laughs: The Chew Toy
- Played For Drama: The Woobie, Cosmic Plaything
Back to Butt Monkey
, if God doesn't smite me first...