: Humanity is at war with giant insects.
- Straight: The Chitin are invading Earth. We're not gonna let them have it.
- It's not really a war so much as a skirmish.
- The shooting hasn't started yet, but relations are very tense in this Space Cold War.
- Double Subverted:
- ...Until the Chitin show up in a later season.
- ...But then they turn against each other after the greater threat is defeated
- Zig Zagged: The Chitin are invading Earth because their planet was invaded by the Xenometals and they need to colonize a new planet, but the United Terran Defense Force repels the Chitin and decides to invade their planet to deal with the Xenometals, but The UTDF, Chitin, and Xenometals all end up fighting each other with the Terrans emerging victoriously. General Starblade is hailed as a hero on Earth and elected President of the Terran Nations, but we find out that he has been infested by a Chitin control parasite...
- Averted: The Chitin are actually sentient trading-partners.
- Enforced: Hey! We gotta make our heroes kill dozen of aliens without the audience feeling sorry for any of them. I know! Lets make them giant bugs, because bugs are icky, right?
- Lampshaded: "Why is it that every single insect in this galaxy wants to kill us?"
- Invoked: The Big Bad lets loose the bugs to help him conquer the planet.
- Exploited: Starfish Aliens tricked the Chitin into invading Earth to weaken both sides before they themselves invade. The brutality of the Chitin-Human war means even if the two are able to call a truce and team up against the Starfish Aliens, cooperation is difficult because of harsh memories.
- The UTDF develops specialized Anti-Hive bombs and viral weapons to ensure that the Chitin never establish a foothold on Earth.
- The Chitin are specifically stated as being humanity's greatest ally and friend.
- The Chitin are quite docile, even friendly, and produce byproducts humans find useful, and allow humans to harvest these substances on the condition that they help protect the hive if needed and don't cause harm to or interfere with the residents, a'la beekeepers.
- Chitin require mamalian hosts for their larvae, but realize that cows make much better hosts than humans (more biomass, for one thing) before the two species come to blows.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: "Uh oh, looks like the humans need to call pest control. You'd think they would have learned by now!.
- Deconstructed: Turns out, the Chitin can't sustain themselves in this environment...
- Reconstructed: ...Or can they? The writers decided that Our Bugs Are Different. It makes sense, seeing as how they haven't evolved on this planet.
There's too many of them! Retreat to Bug War