Playing With: Bring My Red Jacket
Basic Trope: A character who receives horrible injuries wears red.
Back to Bring My Red Jacket
- Straight: Alice is wearing red in battle and gets stabbed by her opponent.
- Exaggerated: Anyone wearing any red during battle gets brutally sliced up by the enemy.
- Downplayed: Alice gets a punch in the nose and a consequent nosebleed in a fight while wearing a red jacket.
- Justified: The bright red made Alice stand out more among her comrades, and so the enemy decided to target her.
- Alice, wearing her red jacket, is the only one to escape the battle uninjured.
- Alternatively, when a wound opens back up, Alice takes off her red shirt, treating everyone to a nice view of the gaping hole in her chest.
- Alice dresses in white, and her injuries are very visible as a result.
- Alice, battling while wearing all red, looks to be wounded...but it turns out not to be her blood on her clothing, but her opponent's instead.
- Alternatively, Alice goes to the battle and seemingly survives without a scratch, but it's revealed that she has, indeed, gotten severely wounded or maybe even killed while wearing the red jacket.
- Double Subverted: ...Until later in the battle, when her opponent really does severely wound her.
- Anyone who will wear red will get injured during the very same minute when they dress themselves up or will have accidents happen during the whole day.
- Alice, wearing a red jacket, manages to avoid injury by taking the jacket off and throwing it at a nearby parking meter. The jacket and parking meter are mangled beyond recognition, but Alice is unharmed.
- Alice is also wearing brown pants in case she craps them out of fear.
- Alice is wearing a red jacket, is wounded, bleeds all over it, discards it, gets a green jacket, is wounded again, and bleeds green this time.
- Zig Zagged: Alice, wearing her red jacket, seems to alternate between appearing to be fine and terribly wounded, until nobody can tell how she's really doing.
- Averted: Nobody wearing any particular color is more likely to be injured in the battle.
- Enforced: "We want people to see her get injured, but she's surrounded by a swarm of ordinary soldiers in all these scenes - let's make her wear red, so it sticks out."
- Lampshaded: "Oh, look, the blood matches my shirt!"
- Invoked: Knowing she'll probably be wounded in battle, Alice wears red so that the blood won't stand out too much, so that her comrades won't start worrying.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: "NO! Alice! Don't wear red to battle! Those people always end up hurt!"
- Discussed: "Why do the ones wearing red always end up the hurt ones? Shouldn't we just stop wearing red altogether, then?"
- Conversed: Alice walks around wearing red and has a conversation with Bob on how, in various media, the color would mean bad news for her.
- Deconstructed: Alice ends up dying because the medics didn't notice that she was bleeding out and appeared to only be unconscious.
- Reconstructed: However, her death ends up causing the medics to use the powerful healing artifact meant for her on her badly wounded daughter instead, which is what she would have wanted anyway.
Back to Bring My Red Jacket