Playing With: Break-Up Bonfire
Basic Trope: A character recently broke up with a Love Interest and is now destroying all of the latter's pictures, gifts, possessions, etc.
Back to Break-Up Bonfire
- Straight: After a particularly bad breakup with Bob, Alice tears up the pictures they're in together and throws the halves with Bob in them into her fireplace, along with the teddy bear he got her for Valentine's Day.
- Downplayed: Alice goes for Defenestrate and Berate instead. She isn't trying to utterly destroy the things, just get them out of her house after Bob's refusal to pick them up. Of course if they happen to break, she doesn't care.
- Alice burns pictures of her current boyfriend Charles.
- Alice (obviously not quite over the breakup/divorce yet) rescues all the stuff Bob gave her from her burning house.
- Alice and Bob break up, and Alice simply moves all of the Bob-related stuff to the attic, closet, or basement, or a rented storage unit.
- Alice gives Bob all his stuff back.
- Double Subverted:
- But she finds a way to get rid of it later, such as selling the gifts he gave her at a garage sale, pawning her engagement or promise ring, etc.
- Then several days later she finds a special gift Bob gave her and burns it.
- Or she hears through the grapevine that Bob cheated on her repeatedly while they were together, and in a moment of anger decides a little bonfire is in order.
- Parodied: Alice burns her own things (including ALL her own clothes) instead of Bob's... And she doesn't realize until quite some time has passed.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: Alice and Bob don't break up or divorce In-Universe.
- Enforced: Rule of Drama
- Lampshaded: "Your CDs? Yeah, tough luck, pal. I sacrificed them to the fire gods."
- Invoked: Alice and Bob break up, and Alice puts all the stuff from their relationship in storage. Two weeks later, she hears from her Girl Posse that Bob cheated on her repeatedly while they were together, and starts to feel very hurt and angry.
- Exploited: Alice can't quite bring herself to burn the items, but she also can't just leave them around her home. So she throws them away in garbage cans that homeless people are known to use as makeshift fireplaces, so that they can do the dirty work for her.
- Defied: Alice decides to just let it go and be thankful that she got rid of him when she did, and just get on with her life.
- Discussed: "And these are Bob's things. I've decided to keep them for myself rather than burn them like you suggested."
- Conversed: "I know he was a cheating jerkass, but did she really have to destroy all his stuff?" "At least she's not actually setting fire to Bob."
- Played For Laughs: She burns his Goofy Print Underwear and evil spirits fly away from it as it burns.
- Played For Drama: Bob murders Alice when he finds out that she has burned his things.
Back to Break-Up Bonfire