: A character is emotionally damaged just by another character's words.
- Straight: After receiving a Breaking Speech from Alice about his behavior, Bob suffers from a Heroic BSOD.
- Exaggerated: Bob is Driven to Suicide just by a few insults from Alice.
- Downplayed: ???
- Bob has low self esteem.
- Alice has such a powerful way with words that she has broken even greater Determinators than Bob in the past.
- Bob is proud that Alice made the speech, and returns the favor by giving her one.
- The speech makes Bob proud for some reason.
- Subverted: Alice's speech affects Bob, but he's not broken by it.
- Double Subverted: Bob just managed to keep a clam composure because he was in public. His Heroic BSOD first hits him the moment he is alone.
- Parodied: Alice calls Bob a "big stupid doodoo head" (or something to that effect). This causes Bob to go through a major (and very melodramatic) existential crisis.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: Alice's speech doesn't even faze Bob.
- Enforced: ???
- Lampshaded: "You're telling me you hurt him by just speaking?"
- Invoked: ???
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Shut Up, Hannibal!
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
Back to Break Them by Talking