Playing With: Brains and Bondage
: People into bondage are portrayed as philosophical/intellectual.
- Mistress Alice, a Dominatrix, is brilliant and philosophical.
- Betty is a Cute Bookworm and is submissive.
- Charlie is studious and enjoys work, and is submissive.
- Dante is a college literature professor and keeps whips and Slave Collars in his bedroom closet.
- Exaggerated: Mistress Alice isn't an ordinary dominatrix, but also an Omnidisciplinary Scientist with an Improbably High IQ (possibly the highest among human race). And she uses her technological expertise (almost exclusively) to create mind-boggling BDSM machines!
- Downplayed: Alice's sex life is suggested to involve a bit of light bondage, and she's college-educated and fairly bookish. She's neither a dungeon mistress nor a PhD, though.
- She became a dominatrix to put herself through law school.
- Mistress Alice likes the psychology behind it all.
- Inverted: Mistress Alice is The Ditz.
- Subverted: Alice becomes a Dominatrix to put herself through law school, but discovers that she isn't into it, and quits the job.
- Double Subverted:...Because she wants to Dom for love, not money.
- Parodied: All the high IQ society talks about is bondage.
- Zig Zagged: Alice likes BSDM. She is noted as an amazing computer tech. But she then fumbles with a computer. Actually, the personal settings were odd. Not that it helped when they got changed. But that's because the data she needs is in a random place, so it just looked like Alice was stumbling around.
- Lampshaded: "Do you keep the bullwhip behind the PhD?"
- Invoked: "We need somebody who is smart but also has a sexual notability."
- Exploited: The villain uses BSDM in order to get the smart one to work for them by displaying an apparent comfort to them.
- Defied: Alice is smart, but the only reason she has the mask is to scare people, she really dislikes unnecessary pain.
- Discussed: "So you're into some pretty kinky stuff, then? Why is it always the smart ones?" "That's actually the subject of my thesis!"
- Conversed: "How come kinky characters are always either evil or these total ivory-tower intellectual types?"
- Deconstructed: Because of her intelligence and bondage fetish, Mistress Alice has trouble finding friends or romantic partners, and feels doubly isolated.
- Reconstructed: Until she finds Slave John, who is just as intelligent as she is.
Back to Brains and Bondage