Playing With: Boss Banter
Basic Trope: The boss talks to the player character(s) during the Boss Battle.
Back to Boss Banter
- Straight: Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy Dave disses the party when they fight him.
"I'll knock you down!"
"Your aspirations are irrelevant!"
"Know despair! Your days end here!" note
- Exaggerated: Each of Dave's line is a paragraph or so. His lungs capacity is superb.
"Vermins! How short-sighted of you to bare your blades before I, Dave! I have walked east and west, north and south, and yet not a single warrior remained standing when faced by my might! There is no hope you will walk away from this battle alive! This is not even a battle, this is where I crush you like insects! Behold judgement from the mighty!"
- Downplayed: Dave has lines to say, and they consists of one or two words.
"To Oblivion." note
- Justified: Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy Dave is an Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy, and he want everyone to know it.
- Inverted: The party members tell Dave how much he's a monster.
Dave: "You verm-"
Bob: "Shut up, Dave!" **whack**
Dave is inflicted with SILENCE!
- Double Subverted:
- Parodied: The banter is made of Flowery Insults.
"I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty-headed Chickaboo food trough wiper!"
"I fart in your general direction, you silly Troperian Knnniggits!" note
"Your mother was a rainbow-feathered Chickaboo and your father reeked of bunnyberries!"
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted:In a fully-voiced game where everyone calls their attack, the boss battles are noticeably devoid of banters.
- Enforced: The writers want to make sure you know that Dave is unlikable.
Bob: "I'm not here to listen to your nonsense, Dave!"
- Invoked: ???
- Exploited: Bob makes each strike when Dave is Bantering, giving him a slight element of surprise.
- Defied: Dave fights the Good Guys, and doesn't start bantering until they're so weak they can barely hear him.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
Back to Boss Banter