Playing With: Blunt "Yes"
Basic Trope: A person asks a question expecting a no or a vague answer, but instead gets a yes.
Emperor Evulz: "Yes".
Bob: "Do you think that everyone besides yourself is just pond scum that you can do what ever you want to do with?"Emperor Evulz "Yes, Isn't it obvious?"
Bob: "Do you think that everyone lives to serve you?Emperor Evulz: "...It is a bit more complex that. But let's keep it simple and say: Yes."
- Justified: To Evulz, the answer to the question is so obvious it seems pointless to ask in the first place.
- A person asks a rhetorical question and gets an answer they didn't expect.
- A person asks a question expecting a yes or a vague answer, but instead get a rather blunt no.
- A person asks a question, excepting a simple yes or no, get a vague answer instead.
Emperor Evulz: "Yes! Well... no of course not!".
- Double Subverted:
"Some people die to serve me."
Emperor Evulz: "Hmm, let me think about—yes."
- Zig Zagged:
Emperor Evulz: "Yes... wait, no... wait, that means it's a yes... but then what about..."
Emperor Evulz: "No, just my Five-Bad Band."
- Enforced: The writer wanted to establish Emperor Evulz as a Deadpan Snarker, and this was the quickest and most potent way to do it.
- Lampshaded: "You really don't care about your people? I should have expected something from a Tyrant like you!"
- Invoked: ???
- Someone tries to get the conversion on tape to show how little Emperor Evulz cares for his/her followers.
- Bob previously set the MacGuffin's self-destruct activation code to "Yes".
Emperor Evulz: "Of course not! What do you think I am, some kind of monster?!"
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: "I really expected Evulz to simply say yes, a villain like him wouldn't care about his people."
- "Do you think this link leads back to Blunt "Yes"?""Yes."