: A sharp bladed weapon that is attached to the arm, springs from the arm, or IS an arm.
- Straight: Ninja Kenshin wields a foot-long retractable blade attached to his left vambrace.
- Downplayed: Kenshin has spiked gloves.
- Justified: He’s an assassin, and as it turns out blades that seamlessly retract into his sleeve are easy to hide.
- Inverted: Howard the Hero's sword has an arm growing from the hilt.
- Subverted: Kenshin flexes his arm and poses as if to call forth the blade… and activates the smoke bombs he placed there.
- Double Subverted: He’s pressed the wrong button, and after the smoke clears he sheepishly unretreacts his blade.
- Parodied: Kenshin has trouble keeping his blades retracted when around his crush…
- Zig Zagged: Sometimes Kenshin has arm blades, some days he doesn’t, and sometime he has a bootknife instead.
- Averted: All weapons are wielded, and no retractable blades appear.
- Enforced: It's a series trademark.
- Lampshaded: “Why not just carry a sword?” “…It’s the principle of the thing!”
- Kenshin keeps his blade retraced until the villains least expect it.
- He uses the armblades so he can fight and gesture rudely at the same time.
- He uses armblades so he doesn’t forget to bring a weapon with him.
- Defied: “No, Timmy, you can’t have the vambrace. We don’t trust you around concealed sharp objects anymore…”
- Discussed: “Bet he has trouble picking his nose.”
- Conversed: There’s fanart of the above incident.
- Carmillia has Wolverine Claws that retract into her flesh, but not the regeneration to protect her from the damage done. She’s none to happy about this.
- Alternatively, the retractable blades limit movement when retracted. When Carmilla's Wolverene Claws are in, she can't move her wrist without grievous internal injuries.
- Reconstructed: But Carmillia's arms are actually high quality cybernetic limbs, her body isn't damaged by the blades.
- Played For Laughs: Kenshin modified the claws to go *Snkit* when exposed.
* Snikt!* Back to Blade Below the Shoulder