'''Basic Trope''': Blood is shown as black instead of normal red.
* '''Straight''': A character becomes wounded, and is shown bleeding blackish blood.
** An AxCrazy character goes on a murderous rampage, and the result is an area with blood everywhere, all of it as black as tar.
** Everything that should be red is shown as black instead.
* '''Downplayed''': A character is wounded, and bleeds maroon blood.
** The wounded character is [[AlienBlood not human]], so their blood looks different.
** Alternatively: The point-of-view character suffers from [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness#Classification_of_color_deficiencies protanopia]] -- the lack of red light receptors in the eye -- and blood looks dark as a consequence.
** Or the wounded character is being seen on a black-and-white TV monitor (perhaps an older security camera)
** The character was shot in such a way (i.e., shot through the liver) or has a medical condition (i.e., too much iron) that makes the blood look darker than usual.
* '''Inverted''': Blood is shown being far brighter a shade of red than possible in reality.
* '''Subverted''': The black "blood" isn't really blood at all, and when characters do end up bleeding, it's normal red.
* '''Double Subverted''': The black "blood" is a different substance, so we assume characters will still bleed red. However, once they really do get injured, their blood is still pitch black.
* '''Parodied''': Blood in the series is frequently confused with oil.
* '''Zig Zagged''': It's a black liquid splattered or smeared somewhere, but the story keeps flipping views on whether it's blood or not.
** Characters bleed. The blood is normal red.
** Nobody is shown bleeding.
* '''Enforced''': It's a family friendly show, and making the blood black lets them get away with some violence without getting too gruesome.
* '''Lampshaded''': "Oh no, this blood is going to leave black stains everywhere!"
* '''Invoked''': A character drinks some sort of chemical that will turn his blood black, knowing that he will soon die- he doesn't want to startle bystanders too much.
* '''Exploited''': ???
* '''Defied''': A character makes sure to get enough iron, thus ensuring that his blood stays red.
* '''Discussed''': "Isn't blood supposed to be red?" "Yeah." "So why is ours black?"
* '''Conversed''': "That one show always shies away from showing blood, and now when they do, it's black? Come on!"
* '''Deconstructed''': The characters in the series suffer from severe anemia caused by iron deficiency; iron is what makes blood red, so their blood can appear black. The other symptoms of anemia cause the characters much suffering.
* '''Reconstructed''': The art is highly stylized, with unrealistic colors used in many places for dramatic effect.
Back to BlackBlood
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???