: A white character spends the majority of his/her time with a black character.
- Straight: Alice, the lead has a best friend named Betty who's always there when she needs someone to give her encouragement or discouragement.
- Downplayed: Betty does listen to Alice's problems and helps out... but only in more casual affairs. When a problem is major enough, Alice is mostly on her own.
- Justified: Betty is a very minor side character introduced as Alice's best friend because they have specific interests in common and like spending time together.
- Alice and Betty have little, if any, contact with each other and make their own pursuits their first priority.
- Alternatively, Betty is the protagonist, and Alice is just her obligatory sidekick.
- Double Subverted:
- However out of all her friends, Betty is the one Alice is closest and most intimate with.
- Betty is actually a Reverse Mole who tricks the Big Bad
- Parodied: After befriending Betty, Alice takes out a list named "Obligatorily Ethnic Acquaintances" and checks off the point labeled "Black Friend".
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: Betty is not just Alice's friend. She has characterization and motivations beyond Alice.
- Enforced: An attempt to introduce diversity to the series or movie
- Lampshaded: "And these are Alice and Betty, or as we affectionately call them, Salt and Pepper."
- Invoked: Alice meets Betty, and the two of them instantly hit it off as best friends.
- Exploited: Bob gets his friend Betty to set him up with her best friend Alice
- Betty firmly asserts that she has her own motives in mind and won't be a pawn in some affirmative action quota.
- Alice wants nothing to do with Betty and vice versa.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Reconstructed: Betty isn't a Mary Sue type character; she is a normal human being who will freely state her opinions and call Alice out on any foolishness. The same holds true for Alice.
- Played For Laughs: Salt and Pepper
- Played For Drama: Alice and Betty's world is pretty racist, and people don't approve of their spending time together, which takes a toll on their friendship.
Back to Black Best Friend