: A room or building looks of a perfectly normal size on the outside, but appears abnormally large when you step inside.
- Straight: Alice opens the door to a portaloo and steps into a large hall.
- Exaggerated: The hall has a portaloo standing in the middle which leads to a huge cathedral.
- Downplayed: Alice opens the door to a portaloo and steps into a wardrobe.
- It is actually a portal to another universe where everything is bigger.
- Or, depending on the setting, A Wizard Did It.
- Inverted: Alice enters a huge gateway and ends up in a tiny privy.
- It seems to be bigger on the inside at first, but it is later shown that it was all a trick of the light.
- Alice is showed opening the door to the portaloo and in the next scene she is inside a large hall. It turns out the hall is not actually inside the portaloo.
- Double Subverted:
- The trick of the light was that the portaloo is actually a lot smaller.
- Alice is showed opening the door to the portaloo and in the next scene she is inside a large hall. It turns out the hall is not actually inside the portaloo. It's in a phone booth.
- Parodied: Alice steps into the portaloo and ends up in a huge golden mansion. She heads off to look for the toilets.
- Zig Zagged: The portaloo is actually a huge building deliberately made to look smaller, but the inside is still abnormally huge, but occasionally its interior takes the size and shape of a portaloo anyway, except that when you leave the exit turns out to be a large gateway that fades back to portaloo shape when you blink again.
- Averted: Alice opens the door to the portaloo and steps into a portaloo.
- Enforced: The editor REALLY has a thing for bigger-on-the-inside spacecraft and wanted to slip in a reference to one.
- Lampshaded: Alice comments "Why are these places always bigger than they look?"
- Invoked: The owner of the portaloo deliberately makes the interior bigger than normal in order to have room for his concert hall.
- Exploited: Alice uses the portaloo to hide because the portaloo is the last place they'd look in.
- Defied: Alice refuses to enter the portaloo, "I'll walk in there and it'll be the size of a planet and I'll gasp in astonishment and question my own sanity. I'm not going."
- Discussed: "This isn't a sci-fi film! In the REAL world portaloos are small, cramped and uncomfortable!"
- Conversed: "Quick! Head for the portaloo! If we're lucky it'll lead to a huge mansion we can hide in!"
Back to Bigger on the Inside