: A character tries to be the Big Bad
, but lacks the skills/intelligence/power/resources/etc. necessary to fulfill the role.
- Straight: Alex wants to rule Las Vegas, but General Evil is the real deal.
- Downplayed: Alex wants to rule the playground, but Francis can always out bully him.
- Alex believes he's the only person bad enough to rule Las Vegas, but lacks the skills.
- Alternately, Alex has the skills, but someone else is an even better candidate.
- Alex wants to help Las Vegas as the Big Good, but he is second-best to a philanthropist.
- Alex truly is the biggest bad there is, but fear there's always someone better.
- Alex doesn't want to be the Big Bad, despite having the skills and resources to become one.
- Double Subverted: He's just lying.
- Parodied: Alex wants to rule las Vegas, and he tries everything he can to do so. He often ends up helping Betty get into a position of power each time he tries
- Zig Zagged: Alex desperately wants to rule Las Vegas. But wait, the current leader of Las Vegas is actually a projection of his mind, technically meaning that he's actually already ruling the city. He doesn't know this, and inadvertly destroys the projection. With anarchy ruling the streets, it's easy for Alex to take control. Later, Alex himself gets killed in an accident.
- Averted: Alex has a realistic assumption of his abilities and doesn't even try to take centre stage.
- The writer wanted to show Alex as a failure in every respect: Evil, useless, misguided. They decided to use this way to show what a loser he was.
- Alex is meant to be a red herring.
- Lampshaded: "Alex really seems to be overshooting his abilities, doesn't he? Doesn't seem like he would ever be capable of ruling a lot less than Vegas".
- Invoked: Betty wants there to be a distract while she works on something behind the scenes, so she gives "inspirational" speeches to Alex to egg him into becoming a distraction by giving him ambitions that don't match his skill.
- Exploited: Other villains regularly trick Alex into doing things that he thinks will make him more powerful, but that really only help the other villains' goals.
- Defied: Alex takes a few moments to think about what he's done in his goal to rule, and stops once he realizes how poor a job he's doing.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Played For Drama: While Alex will never be able to get a position of power, his recklessness makes him an even more dangerous foe then the Big Bad.
Back to Big Bad Wannabe