: The Hero
's friend turns to be the Big Bad
- Straight: Bob is ready to get some help from best friend Charlie, but he gets betrayed when it turns out he is the crime boss of his empire.
- Exaggerated: ALL of the hero's friends are bad guys.
- Downplayed: The Hero's casual acquaintance who appears a few times turns out to be the Big Bad.
- Charlie became Bob's friend in order to manipulate him.
- Bob is a Reality Warper, and by becoming Bob's friend, Charlie is able to use Bob's power for his own ends.
- Inverted: The Villain Protagonist's friend turns out to be good.
- Charlie seems to be the Big Bad, but was actually framed.
- Charlie's friendship with Bob causes him to pull a Heel-Face Turn.
- Double Subverted:
- ... and then it turns out that Charlie only made it look like he was framed, and really was the Big Bad after all.
- Charlie runs into a Heel Face Door Slam by Bob.
- Parodied: Charlie is obviously evil, the Monster of the Week regularly visits Charlie in Bob's presence before trying to kill Bob, and Bob periodically walks in on Charlie in the middle of a megalomaniac rant. Bob finally discovers that Charlie is the big bad because he uses the same brand of shampoo that he found in the big bad's secret lair, and is shocked and outraged at his betrayal.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- None of The Hero's friends turn out to be evil.
- Alternatively, The Hero doesn't have any friends to begin with.
- Enforced: ???
- Lampshaded: ???
- Invoked: ???
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: ???
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
Back to Big Bad Friend