Playing With: Bears Are Bad News
: Whenever a bear shows up, things turn very messy.
- Straight: While roaming on a forest, Bob is attacked by a bear that leaves him seriously injured.
- Downplayed: The bears are merely pranksters or thieves (a la Yogi Bear) but not necessarily vicious.
- Justified: Bob was wielding a hunting rifle and getting close to the bear's cubs, so it attacked him out of preservation instinct.
- Bears tremble when they hear Bob's name, because he pummels them with his
bare bear hands to show how unstoppable he is.
- Alternatively, the bear drastically improves Bob's situation.
- Bears are shown to believe that Humans Are Bad News.
- Double Subverted:
- Confronted with a puma, Bob is cornered and in serious danger until a bear shows up and scares the feline. Then he thinks "Saved by a bear. Who would have thought it? I guess they aren't so b- AAAAAAAaaaaaaa...!!".
- But when bear finished with the villain, it immediately follows Bob.
- Zig Zagged:
- Turns out it was a bi-polar bear, you just never know how they are gonna react.
- The bears act as Laser-Guided Karma and only show up to maul anyone whose recent actions mean they deserve it.
- Bears are just another animal, not treated as more or less dangerous than any other large predator.
- The only bear that appears is Beary Friendly.
- Enforced: "We needed a way to justify Bob's absence on this season, so we thought a bear attack would be more dramatic than just making him falling from the stairs"
- Lampshaded: "First there were the mosquitoes, then the beavers and now a friggin' bear?! WHY?! Why does nature hates me so much?!"
- Invoked: A villain installs mind control devices on several bears with the hope of getting Bob while he's roaming in the forest.
- Exploited: Bob is chasing/being chased by his archnemesis, Alice the Nefarious. One or the other of them steers the chase into the deep forest, hoping that a sudden bear attack might dispose of the other for them.
- Defied: Before venturing into the forest, Bob coats himself with a substance used to repel bears and other wild creatures.
- Discussed: "This is horrible! Bob is being attacked a furious bear... And I don't have a camera to record it!"
- Conversed: "The situation has just turned even more unBEARable than usual, don't you think?" "Enough with the bear puns!"
- We see the horrible psychological consequences of the attack, as they have turned Bob into a shadow of what he used to be. The incident also ignites a sentiment of hatred that eventually leads to the systematic extermination of every single bear in the forest.
- Bob becomes a hermit, roaming the wilderness for the
white whale bear that attacked him.
- Reconstructed: Despite his bitter experience with the bear, Bob feels lucky to be alive and turns his story into An Aesop about why mankind should respect nature's power.
Back to Bears Are Bad News