Playing With: Base Breaker
Basic Trope: A character about whom the fans have a Love It or Hate It attitude.
Back to Base Breaker
- Straight: Alice is a Ms. Fanservice anti-heroine who is a Jerk with a Heart of Gold. Half the fans love her with most of them buying merchandises of her face on it while the other half hated her guts and have created flash videos and fan art of her being killed off in gruesome ways.
- Alice is the top winner of multiple polls asking fans whom they consider the 'best' and 'worst' character in the series.
- Every character within Alice's series is both adored by the fans and hated with a purple passion.
- Those who love Alice consider her So Cool Its Awesome, while those who hate her consider her So Bad, It's Horrible.
- Downplayed: While Alice does have her share of fans and haters, for the most part, people are neutral to her.
- Justified: Either a very large Periphery Demographic comprises Alice fans, while those who hate her are the show's main demographic, or vice versa.
- Inverted: Alice is either the Ensemble Darkhorse/Breakout Character/Smurfette Breakout or The Scrappy/Creator's Pet.
- Double Subverted:
- But former fans are now hating the new Alice.
- Now the fans are divided between: people who hated Alice, and like her changes; people who liked Alice, and dislike her changes; people who liked Alice, and still like her; and people who hated Alice, and still hate her.
- She kicked Bob, himself a Base Breaker, and many Bob-haters are now rooting for Alice for her Take That, Scrappy!
- Parodied: Somehow someone has managed to ask every single person on the planet on how they feel about Alice (don't ask how). Half the planet want to worship her while the other half compare her to Satan.
- Zig Zagged: Character Development has shifted people's opinion on Alice from time to time.
- Averted: Everyone pretty much has a neutral opinion of Alice.
- Enforced: The writers want to have a character where people would have different opinions on her and so have used conflicted characteristics on Alice.
- Lampshaded: "Boy, people either love Alice or hate her."
- Invoked: Alice decides she likes certain friends of hers more than others and goes out of her way to appease them, knowing full well everyone else will be irritated.
- A Trolling Creator wants to stir up controversy for the show to boost ratings.
- The Creators, wanting to make their Cash Cow Franchise print more money, begin selling shirts saying "We Love Alice!" while other shirts say "We Hate Alice!" most of her fandom buys the former, while her hatedom buys the latter.
- Defied: None of the characters is really that polarizing fandom-wise.
James: Hey, Alice, I like you.
Kate: Well, I think you stink, Alice.
- Conversed: "So I happen to love Alice while you happen to hate her. Wow, our opinions sure are different."
- Implied: Two people are watching Alice's show, and when she enters the picture, one of them smiles and the other's face falls.
- Deconstructed: People's opinion on Alice have caused a massive Flame War on the official forums to the point where it had to be shut down and the writers are deciding whether to have Alice Put on a Bus or cancel the show entirely.
- Reconstructed: After seeing multiple articles on how Alice affects the show and how society is studying her in a sociology case, they decided that the show wouldn't be the same without Alice despite the polarizing opinion and keep her on the show.
- Played For Laughs: Whenever Alice is being a Butt Monkey at the moment, everyone laughs with half the fandom are enjoying how she is being a good sport about it and it was actually pretty funny while the other half is laughing at her misfortune.
- Played For Drama: Alice is pretty much the talk of the entire fandom. Although there are a lot of other interesting characters out there, everyone is talking about Alice and when the writers ask what else they want or improve, everyone stays silent, realizing that they can't think of everyone else because of how much of a Base Breaker Alice is. The show gets cancelled as a result of writer's block with many Cliff Hangers remaining.
Back to Base Breaker