Playing With: Bare Your Midriff
Basic Trope: Showing your bare belly for Fanservice.
Back to Bare Your Midriff
- Straight: Alice wears a midriff-bearing outfit.
- Exaggerated: All of Alice's clothing-or even all women's clothing everywhere in the setting-is designed with midriff-baring in mind.
- Downplayed: Alice wears an outfit that reveals her belly button, but not much more.
- Alice wears a skimpy outfit that exposes everything except for her midriff.
- Alice wears an outfit that exposes her chest, not her midriff.
- Subverted: Alice's shirt looks like it bares her midriff at first, but closer examination reveals that part of the shirt as skin-colored...
- Double Subverted: ...until that part gets ripped off due to Clothing Damage or Rip Tailoring.
- Parodied: Ms. Fanservice Alice wears a sexy midriff-bearing outfit, as do Walking Shirtless Scene Bob and, unfortunately, Fat Bastard Fred.
- Zig Zagged: Alice starts wearing a midriff-baring outfit (Straight). However, it's because there's a heat wave going on in her city (Justified). In the middle of the heat wave, Alice switches to a skimpy outfit that reveals everything above her groin except her midriff (Inverted). After the heat wave, Alice simply decides to ditch the outfit (Averted).
- Averted: Alice simply doesn't expose her midriff.
- Enforced: School or military etc uniforms show her midriff.
- Lampshaded: Bob calls attention to Alice's bare belly.
- Invoked: Alice gets a new navel piercing and specifically wears a midriff-bearing outfit to show it off.
- Exploited: Bob sets up a midriff party in order to find his escaped clone.
- Alice intentionally picks an outfit that won't expose her midriff, for that very reason.
- See most schools in Real Life.
- Discussed: Alice and her friends discuss how midriff-bearing outfits are gaining popularity.
- Conversed: "This show is filled with fanservice. Is there any other reason why Alice wears a costume showing her midriff?"
- Implied: Bob complains about Alice's costume, bringing attention to "The one you wore last week." When Alice asks what was wrong with the outfit since she was "covered on top and bottom", Bob replies, "But there was no middle."
- Alice comes from a very conservative family that punishes her when they learn that she wears a midriff-baring outfit.
- Alice's midriff-baring outfit attracts the attention of some boys at her school.
- Alice's family realize they were being strict on her, so they let her keep wearing them, provided she doesn't do it too much.
- Since Alice is the Action Girl, she quickly teaches the boys a lesson about manners when they make sexual comments about her outfit.
- Played For Laughs: Alice is an Innocent Fanservice Girl from another country/planet/dimension/whatever that wears a sexy midriff-baring costume and doesn't understand why she gets all the attention she gets from men.
- Played For Drama: Alice is captured by the Big Bad, and he forces her to wear a sexy midriff-revealing outfit.
Back to Bare Your Midriff