'''Basic Trope''': A character is marked as "badass" by wearing a trenchcoat.
* '''Straight''': Bob wears a trenchcoat. He [[SmokingIsCool smokes]], wears [[CoolShades shades]], [[ActionHero kicks ass]], and [[ChickMagnet gets all the ladies]].
* '''Exaggerated''': [[LimitedWardrobe Bob is never seen without his trenchcoat, and he even sleeps in it]]. When he finally takes it off, he becomes a timid, mild-mannered nerd.
** Bob's trenchcoat is cool and he's not bad in a fight, but he's not the best.
** Bob's coat of choice is a shorter garment, such as a [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pea_coat pea coat]].
** Bob is a trained bounty hunter with years of military experience. He wears a trenchcoat because it makes it easier to hide weapons.
** Bob operates in a windy or rainy area, making the coat SimpleYetAwesome.
* '''Inverted''': Bob wears a really short vest, and is a wimp.
** Bob wears a trenchcoat, but he's an insecure nerd who nobody takes seriously.
* '''Double Subverted''': Bob buffs up in a TrainingMontage and becomes more assertive as the story goes on. By the end of the story, he's a badass worthy of his trenchcoat.
* '''Parodied''': Bob always speaks in a gravelly voice, he's covered in tattoos, and he always has five o'clock shadow. A kid tries to steal his trenchcoat, believing that it will make him a badass as well.
* '''Zig-Zagged''': Bob has a rotating wardrobe, and he only wears a trenchcoat from time to time.
* '''Averted''': Bob is a badass, but he refuses to wear a trenchcoat because he believes it will slow him down in a fight.
* '''Enforced''': Bob wears a trenchcoat because his action figure will sell better than his normal outfit.
* '''Lampshaded''': "Of course I'm wearing a trenchcoat. What kind of a badass would I be without one?"
* '''Invoked''': Bob is just starting out his career as a bounty hunter. The first thing he does is buy a trenchcoat, believing that it's mandatory for all badasses.
* '''Exploited''': Bob is starting out his career as a bounty hunter. He buys a trenchcoat because he knows that people consider them to be badass and wearing one will help his image.
* '''Defied''': Bob is a normal, well-adjusted guy who wears a trenchcoat because he thinks it looks good on him. When people assume that he's a "bad boy", he just rolls his eyes.
* '''Discussed''': "Who does Bob think he is? Idiot...it's a coat, not an 'Instant Badass' recipe."
* '''Conversed''': "Man, I wish I had a coat like that...nobody would fuck with me."
** Bob is a traumatized war veteran with a criminal past. He wears a trenchcoat to hide his scars.
** Bob's coat may look cool, but it may also be slightly cumbersome, get caught on anything sharp that sticks out (or [[WesternAnimation/TheIncredibles get sucked into a jet turbine]]), and if nothing else it may make the wearer feel too warm if worn in a hot environment.
** Bob is a brave, good-hearted detective. He admits that he wears a trenchcoat because it gives him confidence.
** Bob gets a coat that is lighter and tears easily, thus keeping his image badass and dealing with some of the practicality issues.
* '''Played For Laughs''': Whenever Bob puts on his trenchcoat, "Bad to the Bone" starts playing in the background, and everybody stops what they're doing and just stares.
Back to BadassLongcoat
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???