Playing With: Bad Humor Truck
Basic Trope: Ice cream truck being used for villainous purposes.
Back to Bad Humor Truck
- Straight: Harvey, a Psycho for Hire and long-time Professional Killer, drives an ice cream truck when going after his targets.
- Downplayed: The ice cream man is a Jerk Ass who enjoys annoying the kids who buy ice cream from him.
- Harvey is driving the ice cream truck to appear inconspicuous.
- Harvey's preferred method of assassination, when he feels he can get away with it, is selling poisoned ice cream to his target.
- Inverted: Normally, Harvey is just an ordinary ice cream truck driver. But when duty calls, he dons his costume and becomes... The Egregious Trope-Man.
- Subverted: The local kids saw the ice cream man acting suspicious, and thought that he was a murderer. However, when he is investigated by the police, he is found innocent.
- Double Subverted: ...But only because they got the wrong ice cream man.
- Zig Zagged: The story concerns a big city police department unraveling a conspiracy that has two sides - both of questionable morality - posing as ice cream men.
- Averted: No villain in the story uses ice cream truck as a cover.
- Enforced: The writer wanted to make the work more unsettling, so he made the ice cream man a villain.
- Lampshaded: "Here comes the ice cream man... go to Defcon 1, now!"
- Invoked: Harvey uses an ice cream truck as a cover because he wanted to be an ice cream man when he was a kid, but his mafia enforcer father put the kibosh on that.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: The Don scoffs at Harvey's idea of using an ice cream truck to appear inconspicuous, and tells him that it'll make him even more conspicuous, if anything.
- Discussed: "I think I hear an ice cream truck, wanna go get some?" "No way, man. Those ice cream men are always drug dealers, mafia hitmen, or serial murderers."
- Conversed: "Why does the ice cream man always turn out to be a villain?" "Because that's unsettling and paranoia-inducing, if you have to ask me."
- Deconstructed: Harvey is found and caught by the police when several witnesses point to an ice cream truck leaving the scene of a crime.
- Played For Laughs: Harvey takes his cover as an ice cream man a little too seriously and tries to sell ice cream to his fellow mafia goons.
- Played For Drama:
- When Harvey sees the policemen coming after him, he takes several children who were buying ice cream from him hostage to ensure his escape.
- Harvey is a Hitman with a Heart torn between the loyalty to his employers and his desire to be a good guy to the kids he's selling ice cream to.
Back to Bad Humor Truck