Playing With: Badass Grandpa
Basic Trope: An old man who has serious butt-kicking capabilities, even if they're rarely shown.
Back to Badass Grandpa
- Straight: Grandpa Bob usually settles for giving boring lectures of his Glory Days, but when the chips are down, he defends his home from twenty intruders without breaking a sweat or losing his dentures.
- Grandpa Bob is always stealing the show during big fights, to the point that his grandchildren are getting embarrassed.
- Great-Grandpa Bob is 100 years old and his health rapidly deteriorating. When push comes to shove, he'll kick ass and take names.
- Grandpa Bob can be relied on to provide support in a fight. Then again, even he knows when he's outmatched.
- Bob hasn't seen fighting, but is a Cool Old Guy who's still good at sports or physical work.
- Grandpa Bob spent over fifty years as a career soldier. How do you think he lived so long?
- Grandpa Bob has been keeping his body in peak condition since his 20s, so his age is far less of a handicap.
- A youthful Bob is a Non-Action Guy.
- Bob, barely out of his diapers, has the strength of a fully-grown man.
- Gender Inverted: Never Mess with Granny
- Subverted: Grandpa Bob is still full of grits, guts, and fighting spirit — but that's mostly bluster, as sometimes he forgets where he is, and his physical strength ain't what it used to be.
- Double Subverted: The family talk is that Grandpa Bob's let himself go to seed, just takin' up book learning... but he's been studying magic, and is pretty good at it.
- Parodied: Grandpa Bob commands an army of senior citizens against The Legions of Hell.
- Zig-Zagged: Somedays Grandpa Bob is just a senile old man, others he's the most dangerous man alive.
- Averted: Grandpa Bob, though a mighty fighter in his old days, has dwindled in strength and skill, and the family is sure to keep him away from any danger.
- Enforced: "See this old guy? He needs to get some of the spotlight, show where The Hero gets his skill from."
- "How is this guy so strong?! He's like, what, eighty?"
- "Hernia acting up again, grandpa?" "...Yep. Gotta stop pickin' the punks up an' throwin' 'em..."
- Invoked: Over the decades, Grandpa keeps himself in fighting shape, just because he knows a war is coming, sooner or later.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Grandpa retired from combat years ago, sick of the bloodshed. He hasn't trained a day since.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Being a badass is all nice and well but there's a price. How much time did it take for Grandpa Bob to become badass? How hard is it to stay that way as time goes on? Fame as a badass attracts challengers and that's a lot of headaches for Grandpa Bob and his grandkids over the years.
- Due to his age, Grandpa Bob's heart is far more vulnerable to exertion. When trying to protect his family, the exerting results in the cardiac arrest that ends his life.
- Grandpa Bob's as strong as ever, but his mental faculties aren't what they used to be, and he sometimes forgets things like where he is or what's happened over the past ten years... With ugly results, as his way of getting answers can be downright terrifying.
- But hey, Grandpa Bob is badass. He can deal with it.
- While dying from over-exertion, he inspires new respect from his family and is remembered by the public as a hero.
Back to Badass Grandpa