Playing With: Awesome but Impractical
: A weapon/device/procedure which seems incredibly powerful/game-breaking at first, but has detrimental issues that limit its long term usefulness.
- Straight: The best Combination Attack needs all five members to perform it. It's awkward getting the Olympus Mons needed to pull it off, and it has the Mighty Glacier going first, meaning the enemy gets a turn during the setup.
- Exaggerated: Alice's BFG creates a laser the size of the Moon. But to do that, it takes enough energy to black out an entire state... for about three years and all that energy is giving away it's location to everyone and cannot be reaimed throughout the charging phase. On top of all this, the thing can only be used once.
- Downplayed: Alice's BFG is powerful, but takes a long time to reload.
- Of course a BFG would need that much energy.
- Alice gets caught up in a crisis and needs a gun, but the only one available is a prototype that doesn't have all the kinks worked out yet.
- Inverted: Boring but Practical
- Subverted: Alice upgrades her laser so it charges up quickly.
- Double Subverted: Only 2 seconds quicker.
- Parodied: The ultimate weapon looks awesome, but is actually a water gun.
- Zig-zagged: Alice upgrades the gun again so it charges fast now.
- Averted: Anything awesome is practical and anything boring is impractical.
- Enforced: "A BFG would make things too easy for our hero. We could have it a long charge up time."
- Lampshaded: "Weapons never work how they're supposed to."
- Invoked: "Our boss demands us to make a BFG, but we don't have the energy to make it charge up quickly!"
- Exploited: The villain attacks during the BFG's long charge-up time.
- Defied: Alice refuses to use the weapon for fear of its failure.
- Discussed: "If you have a BFG, it isn't going to fire like a normal gun. It will take a long time to charge up."
- Conversed: "So, this show is trying to be realistic and show the flaws with a BFG."
- Deconstructed: Alice runs out of money from all the recharging and repair.
- But Alice earns a lot of money defeating villains.
- It doesn't matter how long the weapon takes to recharge, when it can disintegrate planets in a single shot.
- Played for Laughs: The villain just sits there waiting for it to charge up.
- Played for Drama: The BFG is very powerful, but sucks life-energy from Alice herself.
Going to the main page by typing the URL in with your eyes closed would be Awesome but Impractical
. Try using the link in the previous sentence.