: Gratuitous swearing (or other objectionable content) added to get a higher and more marketable rating.
- Straight: Several instances of what were originally Precision F Strikes were made into gratuitous Atomic F-Bomb to secure an M rating.
- Exaggerated: A movie received a G rating at first review, so it was rewritten with Gratuitous Rape, Cluster and Atomic F-Bombs, Bloodier and Gorier, and Hotter and Sexier to the point where it received an R-rating... but the plot and premise didn't change.
- Downplayed: The movie is on the border line of a PG rating. A few too many Precision F Strikes push it over.
- Justified: The movie wanted to stay out of an age-related Ghetto.
- Inverted: A Cluster F-Bomb is changed to Gosh Dang It to Heck! to ensure a family friendly rating.
- Subverted: Viewers suspect that a show was Rated M for Money using this trope, but the director's commentary reveals that several Cluster F Bombs where in fact removed for being too gratuitous, and the movie was never in danger of a PG rating.
- Double Subverted: The above + Lying Creator.
- Parodied: "So, gentlemen... shall we call this case concluded? Ah, there is in fact one more thing before we can conclude this case report... Oh, shit! If I don't start fucking swearing, this episode might get a goddamn PG-rating!"
- Zig Zagged: In the Director's commentary, one says the movie has this, the other says the movie's rating was never in question.
- Averted: The movie crew decides to keep a G or PG rating, and even rework the film to be friendlier to a wider audience.
- Enforced: Executive Meddling/Rated M for Money.
- Lampshaded: ???
- Invoked: ???
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: "No way. I am not going to burst into vulgarity now just because this movie needs to sell. Besides, why should we ignore the group of adults who hate seeing this trope in movies?"
- Discussed: "Uh, didn't that seem kind of gratuitous and out of character?" "Dude, this show has to fucking sell, shit! Think we'd earn fuck-all money at a bloody G rating?"
- Conversed: "Wow... did they really think having that Cluster F-Bomb would make the movie better?" "Nah, they probably wanted to bump its rating."
Back to the fucking page for Avoid the Dreaded G Rating