: An assassination attempt is thwarted.
- Straight: Alice tries to assassinate Bob, but Bob defeats her.
- Downplayed: Alice screws up an assassination attempt, and after a desperate fight Bob manages to kill her in self-defence, albeit still coming away with a serious wound and fearing for his life.
- Alice is an unexperienced assassin, and Bob is secretly proficient in martial arts.
- Bob either knew about the attempt or had good intuition, ruining the most important part of the assassination, the surprise.
- Averted: Although such a situation might have been foreshadowed, no assassination attempts - successful or not - occur at all.
- Inverted: Bob finds out about the attempt, and we see all the measures he puts together to cause it to fail. Alice effortlessly overcomes these obstacles and kills him.
- Double Subverted: Bob goes to help Alice up after she explains her change of heart, and she tries to stab him.
- Parodied: Alice spends the whole movie making more and more elaborate attempts on Bob's life, and due to ridiculous good luck, Contrived Coincidences and sheer obliviousness Bob doesn't even notice a single one of them.
- Zig Zagged: Bob defeats Alice, Alice tries it again and defeats him, and her intention turns out to have been nonlethal. She actually assassinates him a bit later - however, Bob is Not Quite Dead.
- Averted: The assassin either fails and escapes, or succeeds in killing Bob.
- Enforced: An assassination attempt was necessary plot-wise, and the odds are against Bob, but since in this work Nobody Can Die, Alice has to be defeated by him anyway.
- Lampshaded: "This isn't the first time someone's been sent to kill me, you know. Although I suppose you wouldn't have heard about the other times..."
- Invoked: Alice's contract on Bob is a Uriah Gambit. Alice's boss knows how tough Bob is, and is trying to send Alice to her death.
- Exploited: Alice realises just in time that Bob is winning, and decides "You can kill me, but I'm Taking You with Me."
- Defied: Bob notices Alice, but she tells him: "This isn't just one of these easily-repelled assassination attempts. Die."
- Discussed: "Wait, your target is Bob!? ...If You Die I Call Your Stuff!"
- Conversed: "Who sends a nameless Mook to kill a main character? It's like they haven't even heard of the Sorting Algorithm of Mortality..."
- Implied: Alice's attempt is never seen, but when Bob shows up at her boss's office he's got a new scar and is carrying Alice's distinctive Weapon of Choice.
- Played For Laughs: A Carnival of Killers attacking Bob, and being effortlessly overpowered/Hoist by His Own Petard/suffering Critical Failures, is a Running Gag; they're collectively the Wile E. Coyote to his Road Runner.
Back to Assassin Outclassin'