Playing With: Ass in Ambassador
Basic Trope: A Jerk Ass diplomat.
Back to Ass in Ambassador
- Straight: Bob comes from Tropestan as an ambassador to Cloud Cuckooland. He gets drunk and insults the Emperor, hits on the emperor's wife, and puts his elbows on the table.
- Downplayed: Bob's not the easiest guy to get along with, but he's a nice person deep down
- Bob didn't think to study proper behavior; what to him is funny or a minor faux pas at worst is seen as extremely rude and threatening in Cloud Cuckooland.
- Bob is simply a Jerk Ass, and/or Too Dumb to Live, regardless of where he is or whom he is with.
- Bob is actually trying to start a war or at least a scandal
- Bob's government is sending threats and he is not supposed to be polite.
- Bob is the first Ambassador ever sent to a newly discovered country. His intel botched the job and he doesn't know what is considered rude here.
- Bob remains on his absolute best behavior while at the imperial palace of Cloud Cuckooland.
- Bob even delivers declarations of war politely. After all, a massive apocalypse is no excuse for rudeness, is it?
- Bob is a polite Ambadassador who defends Cloud Cuckooland's king against potential assassins and rebels. After all, shouldn't he work for the nation he interacts with and not turn a blind eye to its woes?
- Bob burps at the dinner table, but quickly excuses himself.
- Bob is not a diplomat, but merely a tourist.
- In Cloudcuckooland, insulting authority figures is seen as a test of skill, flirting with a married woman is a custom to compliment them, and putting your elbows on the table a sign of respect to the chef. It seems Bob has done his homework, and only made to look otherwise.
- Double Subverted:
- Only to learn that "excuse me" is not the proper response to a burp in Cloud Cuckooland.
- But his behavior is still very rude and ignorant, and still reflects poorly on Tropestan.
- But these customs are not done among the nobility, thus being seen as an insult to the Emperor and Empress.
- Parodied: Tropestan and Cloud Cuckooland are enemy nations, so Bob's rude behavior makes him a hero back home.
- Zig Zagged: Once the Tropestani government hear of Bob's boorishness abroad, they send in Alice, an Ambadassador who can defuse the situation. Bob stays around, but only as a gag.
- Averted: Bob does not visit Cloud Cuckooland, or interact with any political leaders from there.
- Enforced: "Let's have our Funny Foreigner be a diplomat who makes a Crazy Cultural Comparison thanks to Small Reference Pools."
- Lampshaded: *sigh* "Foreigners..."
- Invoked: Bob drinks a strong liquor offered to him at the dinner that does not exist in Tropestan, and loses his inhibitions and sense of appropriateness.
- Exploited: The emperor of Cloud Cuckooland had been looking for a reason to declare war on Tropestan before Bob came along, and used Bob's actions as a pretense for war.
- Discussed: "Remember what happened last time Bob went to another country? Is it really a good idea to send him to Cloud Cuckooland?"
- Conversed: "Considering that an ambassador's job is to promote peace, you'd think they'd do a better job of not pissing others off."
- Implied: Bob isn't allowed in Cloud Cuckooland. He won't say why, but it's easy enough to guess.
- Deconstructed: Obviously, not the best thing for foreign relations, or preventing Cultural Cringe.
- Reconstructed: Bob publicly (and without making lame excuses) apologizes for his bad behavior. The emperor of Cloud Cuckooland accepts the apology, and they start over.
- Played For Laughs: Bob gets booted out of the country by the emperor. Literally.
- Played For Drama: Bob's actions start a war.
Back to Ass in Ambassador