'''Basic Trope''': A character is chewed out by a superior, but at the end they reveal that they did some good.
* '''Straight''': "Bob, you destroyed the public library and let three drug-smugglers go free, but thanks to you, the mayor's daughter is safe, so I guess I can't fire you."
** "Bob, you obliterated three cities and allowed seven of the [=FBI=]'s 10 Most Wanted to escape, but the mayor's daughter will most likely live, so here's your reward."
** "Bob, you just destroyed half of the universe and released a prison of crazy serial killers, [[RuleOfThree but the mayor's dog is safe, so I can't fire you.]]"
** "Bob, you have reduced the entirety of the multiverse excluding this one room to cinders, putting all living beings through excruciating pain in doing so, [[SkewedPriorities but my trading cards are all undamaged so congrats on your promotion!]]"
** The mistakes Bob made actually were trivial compared to what good he did, but his superior still wants to warn him about those mistakes.
** Bob's recklessness up to and including blowing up the library gets him fired. Saving the mayor's daughter only means nobody will press criminal charges or sue.
** The purpose of the mission was to save the mayor's daughter, so Bob technically did what he was required to do.
** "You risked many lives just to save one. I guess you showed us what it truly means to be an officer."
** The mayor's daughter is the key witness against the drug-smugglers, so there was no point in catching them but losing her as they would have had to be let go anyway. The library's destruction was not his idea.
* '''Inverted''': "Bob, I'm glad you avoided collateral damage and caught the bad guys, but the mayor's daughter died in the chaos, so I'm going to need you to turn in your badge."
** "Bob, you leveled the city, killed thousands of people, endangered countless others, destroyed seven national landmarks, broke the President's arm, and got me a doughnut. I think someone's up for a promotion!"
** "Bob, you bring all cute animals to extinction and make babies cry, but at least you managed to accomplish a cloning project that will bring back cute animals and make the best toys for babies. [[DisproportionateReward That means big rewards for you.]]"
** No collateral damage was caused.
** Or the mission went perfectly.
* '''Enforced''': [[ExecutiveMeddling The executives]] want to keep this CashCowFranchise going, so they prevent the screenwriters from firing the hero.
** "Phew! For a second there, I really thought you were going to fire me!"
** Bob's rival, Carl, who would have Bob's promotion otherwise, looks on the conversation:
-->'''Carl''': "That Bob sure is gonna get it."\\
'''The Chief''': "...But you saved the President's daughter, so I'm going to promote you."\\
* '''Invoked''': Bob is about to be fired, but brings up the point that he saved the mayor's daughter. The chief concedes Bob's argument, and allows him to keep his job.
* '''Exploited''': Bob knows that, as long as he does some good, he won't get in trouble, so he does whatever he feels like.
* '''Defied''': "Listen, I don't give a damn that you saved the mayor's daughter! You destroyed a building and you didn't catch your man! You're fired!"
* '''Discussed''': ???
* '''Conversed''': "Oh dear, are they going to jail Bob?" "As if you don't know, if TheHero saves the princess, no one cares how many villages were burnt in the process."
* '''PlayedForDrama''': Bob is afraid and depressed as he walks into the office, knowing that the large amount of building damage he caused could be grounds for firing him. The boss chews him out loudly in front of everyone...and then launches into a speech about how what he did outweighs all the damage he caused, and he's not fired.
Alright, troper, you ruined an examples page and allowed misspelling on a Useful Notes page. But the ArsonMurderAndLifesaving page is still intact, so I guess you're alright.
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Deconstructed''': ???
%%* '''Reconstructed''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???